College of FAA, Services, Printing, Printing With PaperCut
This article applies only to Faculty, Staff and Students of the College of Fine and Applied Arts (FAA).
This article outlines the steps involved in printing with the PaperCut system used in FAA labs.
- Lab computers, personal computers, and printers used in FAA labs
- Lab customers in the following units:
- Landscape Architecture
- Urban & Regional Planning
Launch PaperCut Client App
- The PaperCut Client app runs automatically when a user logs into a lab machine in FAA. A BYOD user may have to launch the app manually. Its use is only required for users charging to shared accounts, although it is recommended for all users as it provides helpful user feedback and provides a link to the PaperCut User Web Interface (for job release, print history, and more). On Windows, the client will be running in the System Tray. On Mac, the app will be minimized and available in the lower-right part of the user's Dock. In either case, click on the icon to access the client app.
NOTE: The PaperCut client may ask BYOD users to authenticate (with their NetID and AD password) in order to establish their identify. Users of lab machines and other Technology Services at FAA managed machines should not be asked to authenticate as their initial system login establishes their identity.
- The PaperCut Client app shows the user's total personal account balance (a sum of all personal account balances including their Billing account and any personal credit-based accounts). The user can also click on "Details..." to access the PaperCut user web interface in their default web browser. They'll be asked to authenticate with their NetID and AD password to access their account information in PaperCut.
After initiating a print job from their system, the user will see interaction from the PaperCut Client, if running:
- Account selection: Users of shared accounts will be prompted to charge to their personal account or to their shared account(s).
- All users will be notified that their job is being held in a queue and that they need to log into the PaperCut user web interface to confirm charges and release their job.
- Reminder: Users can click on the client icon in either the System Tray (on Windows) or on their Dock (on Mac) to open the client. Clicking on "Details..." will open the PaperCut user web interface in their default browser.
- The default view in the PaperCut User Web Interface is "Jobs Pending Release". This is where the user can see the cost of the job and choose whether to accept the charges and release it (click "print") or cancel it (click "cancel").
- Printing and transaction history as well as current personal account balances are available in the various tabs shown on the left-hand side of the user web interface.
- An overview of the paid printing and PaperCut in FAA labs.
- Information about printing in FAA from Technology Services at FAA, including BYOD support for laptops.
Information on lab/student printing from departmental web pages (rates, refunds, pro tips, and more):
- Landscape Architecture
- NOTE: Refunds can only be transacted inside of PaperCut within 10 days of printing due to technical limitations. Also note that each department may have a more restrictive and detailed refund policy. They also may have ways of providing a refund via Banner more than 10 days after printing, or of providing print credit instead. Please contact personnel in your department for details.
- For general support please contact the Technology Services at FAA Help Desk.