How to Create an Email Archive in Outlook 2010
Follow this handy guide to create an email archive in Outlook 2010
When leaving a position, it's often necessary to leave email behind for your colleagues and/or a successor. You can do this most easily by creating an archive in Outlook and saving it to the share drive.
Follow this handy guide to create an email archive in Outlook 2010 (these steps also apply to 2013 and 2016, but the boxes may look slightly different):
1. Create a new folder (and subfolders) for emails you want to archive.
2. Move email into that folder and/or sub-folders.
3. Select the archive folder
4. Go to File -> Open -> Import
5. Choose "Export to a file" and click Next.
6. Choose "Outlook data file (.pst)" and click Next.
7. Confirm that your Archive folder is selected and "Include subfolders" is checked. Click Next.
8. Click "Browse."
9. Choose where the .pst will be saved (i.e. the S: drive) and what it will be called. Click "OK."
10. Click "Finish." Password protect is optional.
11. Wait while the email archives. Depending on the number of messages,
this can take anywhere from two minutes to more than an hour.
12. Once the archive completes, follow the steps below to double-check it. After you've confirmed that all your email is present, you can clear or delete the Archive folder.
To open an existing archive:
1. In Outlook, File -> Open -> Open Outlook Data File (.pst)
2. Navigate to and choose your archive file.
3. Click OK to open it.
4. Scroll to the bottom of your folder list to find the added "Outlook Data File"
5. Click the arrow to expand subfolders.
6. When finished, you can close by right-clicking on "Outlook Data File" and choosing "Close..."