Networking, Wireless, Connecting Chromecast to IllinoisNet_Guest
This document will provide information on how to configure your Chromecast for IllinoisNet_Guest so that you may be able to cast to it
Configuring Chromecast to Connect to IllinoisNet_Guest
- Before you connect your Chromecast, make sure you download the configuration tool for the system you are using to configure your Chromecast (https://www.google.com/chromecast/setup/). If you are on Windows or Mac, you will need a Chrome browser, if you are on IOS and Android you will need the App.
- Due to the nature of Chromecast, when you perform the initial setup, both the Chromecast and the system you are using to set it up with must be registered in the device registration system. Details about the device registration system can be found https://answers.uillinois.edu/page.php?id=54957. You will need to enable the optional Airgroup setting. If you need help finding your Chromecast MAC address, you might need to download the Chromecast application (https://www.google.com/chromecast/setup/) first and connect to your Chromecast. The MAC address usually appears in the setup process; then register it on the device registration page.
- When you turn on your Chromecast, it will start to broadcast an SSID, usually starting with “chromecast”, followed by a set of 4 numbers.
- Connect to this SSID and follow the on screen instructions.
- Be sure to connect your Chromecast to “IllinoisNet_Guest”
- Once the setup is complete, unregister the system you used to configure your Chromecast in the device registration system and reconnect it to IllinoisNet. Systems using your Chromecast can connect to IllinoisNet while your Chromecast is on IllinoisNet_Guest. The Chromecast does not need to be on the same network as your system after registration is finished.