Networking, Wireless, Connecting Chromecast to IllinoisNet_Guest
Configuring Chromecast to Connect to IllinoisNet_Guest
This document will provide information on how to configure your Chromecast for IllinoisNet_Guest so that you may be able to cast to it
- Before you connect your Chromecast, make sure you download the configuration tool for your device (https://www.google.com/chromecast/setup/). If you are on Windows or Mac, you will need a Chrome browser, if you are on IOS and Android you will need the App.
- Due to the nature of Chromecast, when you perform the initial setup, both the Chromecast and the device you are using to set it up with must be registered in the device registration system (http://go.illinois.edu/illinoisnetguest). If you need help finding the MAC address of your devices, please see the following article (https://answers.uillinois.edu/search.php?q=find+mac+address). If you need help finding your Chromecast MAC address, you might need to download the Chromecast application (https://www.google.com/chromecast/setup/) first and connect to you Chromecast. The MAC address usually appears in the setup process; then register it on the device registration page.
- When you turn on your Chromecast, it will start to broadcast an SSID, usually starting with “chromecast”, followed by a set of 4 numbers.
- Connect to this SSID and follow the on screen instructions.
- Be sure to connect your Chromecast to “IllinoisNet_Guest”
- Once the setup is complete, you can connect your device to IllinoisNet and “cast” from it to your device even though they live on separate networks. This is the intended way for this to work and we do not require that your device and the Chromecast live on the same network.