Email, Spam Control, Managing Safe and Block Lists
All inbound email passes through the Proofpoint email relays as a first line of spam defense where it's scanned for known spam and phish signatures. Then it's then sent to the Exchange servers which also scans it with other spam engines as a second line of defense. As an @illinois.edu account holder, you can also define what is spam (or not) by adding sender addresses to your safe or block list. Below is a summary of these controls for the Proofpoint email relays and Exchange/Outlook. Due to security best practices and University policy we cannot safelist 3rd party email senders. Safelisting exposes vulnerabilities, which spammers can use for spoofing and phishing attacks.
1) Proofpoint's Spam Control
The link below includes more detail regarding the Proofpoint report spam buttons in Outlook. Since Proofpoint is the first line of defense, its buttons are preferred to report spam, phishing attempts or malware.
Add email addresses or domains to your Safe or Block lists:
Use the web interface:
After you log in to the Web Interface, follow these steps to add senders to your personal Safe or Blocked Senders Lists.
- Use the Web Interface by opening a browser and point it to the following URL: https://go.illinois.edu/spamdigest.
- Log in with your Campus NetID and password.
- Click the "Lists" tab on the left side of the window to add, edit or delete addresses in your Safe and Block lists.
2) Exchange Spam Management
| Outlook Web Mail
| Outlook Desktop Client
- For general support please contact the Technology Services Help Desk.