Learn@Illinois Moodle - Importing Content from an Old Course Site
You can import activities and resources between any Learn@Illinois Moodle course sites in which you are a teacher or course administrator. Activities will be copied over without student data.
This article details how to move content from one course site to another after the course site is already created.
- Navigate to the course you want to add content to. Go to the Administration block > Course administration > Import.
- On the Course Selection page, select the course you wish to import from. If you have more than 10 courses, you may need to search for the course you want. Click Continue. On the Initial Settings page, select only the information you need. Selecting too much can result in duplicate blocks, questions in the question bank, etc. In most cases, it is only necessary to check "activities and resources". If you want to import any quizzes, you must check "question bank" but be aware that the entire question bank will be copied into the new course. Click Next.
- On the Schema Settings page, select which items you wish to import. You must select the section the item is in to be able to select the item. When you are done selecting items, scroll to the bottom of the page and click Next. Note: In previous versions of Moodle, text, images,
etc., entered into the section summary were overridden during import in certain conditions.
While testing indicates that this has been resolved, you may want to copy this information into
a label or a file on your computer to be sure.
- On the Confirmation and Review page, check to make sure that everything is correct. Scroll to the bottom and click Perform Import.
- When the system is done processing, you will come to a page that says "Import complete". Click Continue.
Your activity will copy into the same section it was copied from. So, if the activity was in the 5th section of the course you copied it from, it will appear in the 5th section of the course you copied it to.
Note: If the course that you want to import from is on a website other than the Learn@Illinois Moodle site, please email email@example.com for assistance.