Learn@Illinois Moodle - Importing Content from an Old Course Site
Learn how to move content from one course site to another after the course site is already created. You can import activities and resources between any Learn@Illinois Moodle course sites in which you are a teacher or course administrator. Activities will be copied over without student data.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleImport
If the course that you want to import from is on a website other than the Learn@Illinois Moodle site, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Navigate to the main page of the course you want to add content to.
- In the upper right corner, click the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, click Import.
- Select the course you wish to import from and click Continue.
Note: If you have more than 10 courses, you may need to search for the course you want using the search field below the list of courses.
- On the "Import settings" page, check the checkboxes next to the general type of information that you want to copy. Select only the information you need.
Note: Selecting too much can result in duplicate blocks, questions in the question bank, etc. In most cases, it is only necessary to check "activities and resources".
Note: If you want to import any quizzes, you must check "Include question bank" but be aware that the entire question bank will be copied into the new course. If you only want a few questions from the question bank, import a category and the corresponding questions directly from the question bank, and recreate the quiz.
- Click Next.
- On the "Schema settings" page, select the specific items that you wish to import.
Note: You must select the section title (e.g., Topic 3) in order to select the activity (e.g., Week 1 Discussion Forum).
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Next.
Note: In previous versions of Moodle, text, images, etc. entered into the section summary were overridden during the import in certain conditions. While testing indicates that this has been resolved, you may want to copy this information into a label or a file on your computer to be sure.
- On the "Confirmation and review" page, check to make sure that everything is correct. Scroll to the bottom and click Perform import.
- When the system is done processing, you will come to a page that says "Import complete". Click Continue.
Note: Your activities will copy into the same section that they were copied from. For example, if an activity was in the 5th section of the course you copied it from, it will appear in the 5th section of the course you copied it to.