Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using Illinois Media Space for Audio Recording
This page will explain how to use Illinois Media Space for audio recording, replacing many of the features of Wimba Voice Tools/Blackboard Voice Authoring. If there is a functionality missing or you are unable to follow the guide here, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This page teaches how to use the Illinois Media Space for audio recording.
Creating Voice Recordings
- Go to Illinois Media Space (https://mediaspace.illinois.edu/) and, in the upper-right corner of the screen, use the Illinois Login option to log in, as shown below.
- Once you are logged in, click the Add New drop-down menu, and select CaptureSpace Lite.
Note: If this is your first time using this program, you will need to install the application "Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder" on your computer.
Downloading Kaltura CaptureSpace Recorder to your computer
- Select the appropriate operative system and make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements. This program is currently available for Windows and Mac.
- Follow one of the two downloading options.
For Mac users
- Click on Download for Mac. This will download a file called "Kaltura.CaptureSpace.Desktop.Recorder_###.dmg".
- Click to open the installation package and drag the "Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder" into the "Applications" folder.
For Windows users
- Click on Download for Windows. This will download a file called "Kaltura.CaptureSpace.Desktop.Recorder_###.exe".
- Click to open the program; it will ask permission to run on your computer (select Allow).
Recording Your Audio
- Open the "Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder" program on your computer by returning to the Illinois Media Space and clicking on Add New > CaptureSpace Lite.
- The program will open a window, allowing you to choose the type of recording you would like to make and upload, as shown below.
- Select Voice. A small toolbar will appear on the right hand side of your monitor. The recording will start in five seconds; the timer will help you keep track of the countdown and of the duration of your voice clip. We advise letting the recording begin and then starting whenever you are ready, since you will be able to trim the recording before uploading.
- Once you have completed recording, click on Done at the bottom right corner. You can preview and edit your clip before uploading it to Illinois Media Space.
- To upload your recording without further edits, select Done from the bottom corner of the page and follow the instructions to upload the clip into Illinois Media Space.
Editing Your Recording
- From the left-hand toolbar, select Trim to remove the initial and/or final parts of the recording; select Chop to remove a central part of the recording.
- When you select Trim or Chop from the left-side menu, a round, light-blue colored cursor will appear right below the beginning and at the end of the recording.
- Drag these cursors to to select when you would like the recording to begin and end.
Note: The minimum size for chopped or trimmed recordings is 11 seconds; no limit exists for unedited audio recordings.
- To preview your edits, select Apply from the bottom right corner and then click on Preview to listen to the updated recording. The Apply button will save your edits temporarily.
- If you think the clip is ready, select Done to save these changes permanently; otherwise select Cancel to return to the original recording.
Upload to Illinois Media Space
- Once you are done editing your clip, you will be prompted to upload it to Illinois Media Space. You will be able to add some information about your recording, including a title, description, and tags. At a minimum, you only need a title to upload and embed clips in Moodle.
- Select Upload to upload a copy of your recording to Illinois Media Space.
- After the upload is complete, you can view your recordings on the Illinois Media Space gallery and you are ready to embed the recording on Moodle! Kaltura CaptureSpace will automatically save a copy of your file.
- You can view your library by selecting Save in the window above.
- The Save function also allows you to view, delete or upload this recording or other files you may have created using Kaltura CaptureSpace Desktop Recorder.
Embedding Voice Recordings into the Text EditorIf you would like to embed a voice recording into a Moodle resource, such as an assignment or announcement, click here.
For more information about Illinois Media Space: