Learn@Illinois Moodle - Managing Email from Forums
Depending on how forums are set up by an instructor, you may or may not automatically receive an email each time something is posted. You can control these emails by changing your forum subscriptions and how often you receive emails from the forums you are subscribed to.
Subscribe or Unsubscribe to Emails from a Forum
- Click on the name of a forum to enter the forum page. A forum page looks like this:
- Locate the Administration block on the left side of your screen. The
type of subscription the instructor has given you will be displayed
under “Forum Administration”. You will have one of the following
Optional Subscription – You won’t get emails from this forum unless you subscribe to it.
Auto Subscription – You will automatically get emails from this forum unless you unsubscribe from it.
Disabled – You can’t get emails from this forum.
Forced – You will automatically get emails from this forum and you can’t unsubscribe from it.
- If you are allowed to make changes to your subscription, blue links will appear below the subscription type. The following subscription options may be available to you:
- Subscription is forced. You can’t unsubscribe.
Note: If you think your instructor has chosen this option in error, please contact them.
- Subscription is optional. Click on the link to subscribe to forum emails.
- Subscription is automatic. Click on the link to unsubscribe from forum emails.
Change How Often You Receive Emails from Forums you are Subscribed To
- Click your Profile box in the upper right corner of the screen and select Preferences.
- Under User Account, select Forum Preferences.
- Use the Email digest type drop-down list to manage how often you receive forum emails.
The options are described below:
No Digest (recommended) – receive an email each time someone posts to a forum to which you are subscribed
Complete – receive an email each day with the contents of each post in forums you are subscribed to that day.
Subjects – receive an email each day with only the subject names of each post in forums you are subscribed to that day.
Note: If you choose the “Complete” or “Subjects” options, you may not receive an important course announcement (such as class cancellation) in a timely manner.