Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using the Quickmail Block to Email Students
The quickmail block allows you to send emails to groups of students within the class. It can also be set up to allow students to email people within their group.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleQuickmailBlock
Adding the Quickmail Block
If you do not see a Quickmail block in the left-hand column of your course site after scrolling all of the way down, add one.
- Click the Turn Editing On button at the top right-hand side of your screen.
- Scroll down until you see the "ADD A BLOCK" block and in the "Add..." drop-down menu, select Quickmail.
Composing and Sending Emails
- In the Quickmail block, click Compose Course Message.
- In this screen, you can select the email address the message is sent from, as well as specific groups who will receive this email and/or be excluded from this communication. You may also personalize the email with data fields such as [:firstname:], which will display the student's respective name, and add attachments by dragging and dropping.
- You can add a signature, schedule your email to send at a future date and receive a "send report" of your email and who received it.
Note: We recommend always sending your message as an Email instead of a Moodle Message and receiving a send report.
- Click Send Message
- In the Quickmail block, click View Drafts to access draft emails. The emails will appear in a list.
- In this screen, you can edit, duplicate, or delete your draft.
Create and Edit Email Signatures
- In the Quickmail block, click My Signatures.
- In the "Title" field, enter a name for your signature, type in your signature making it default if you wish, and click Save.
Note: To edit a previously created signature, select it from the drop-down list at the top.