Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using the Quickmail Block to Email Students
The quickmail block allows you to send emails to groups of students within the class. It can also be set up to allow students to email people within their group.
Adding the Quickmail Block
If you do not see a Quickmail block in the left-hand column of your course site after scrolling all of the way down, add one.
- Click Turn Editing On at the top-right of your screen.
- Scroll down the blocks on the left side of your course site until you see the "ADD A BLOCK" block (see image below).
- Click Add and select Quickmail from the drop-down menu.
Configuring the Quickmail Block
- Click Configuration next to the gear icon in the Quickmail block.
- Use the "Allow students to use Quickmail" drop-down list to determine whether or not students will be able to see Quickmail in the course and use it to send emails.
- Use the "Roles to filter by" drop-down list to choose which user roles you can select while composing a bulk e-mail. By default, you can choose to send bulk emails to teachers, non-editing teachers or students. If you would like to send bulk emails to additional roles, select them here.
- Use the "Prepend course name" drop-down list to automatically add course short names or ID numbers to the title of your emails. We recommend leaving this set to the course short name.
- Use the "Receive a copy" drop-down list to determine whether a copy of the email will be sent to your email address. Email copies will be stored in your View History regardless of this configuration.
Composing and Sending Emails
- Click Compose New Email next to the envelope icon in the Quickmail block.
- The "From" email address will default to your registered address. If you have set up , you can select them from this drop-down list.
- Use the "Role filter" drop-down list to highlight users with a specific role.
- Use the "Potential Sections" list to highlight users from a certain group or set of groups.
- Use the"Potential Recipients" list to highlight users individually.
- Once the correct users have been highlighted, click the Add button to move those users to the "Selected Recipients" list. Highlight users in the "Selected Recipients" list and click the Remove button to remove them.
- Use the file uploader to add attachments to your email.
- Type a subject line for your email into the "Subject" text box.
- In the "Message" field, type the content of your email.
- If you have set up any signatures, you can select them from the "Signatures" drop-down list.
- Use the "Receive a copy" radio buttons to select whether or not you want a copy of the email sent to your inbox.
- To save the email as a draft without sending it, click the Save Draft button. To send it, click the Send Email button.
View Drafts and Sent Emails
- In the Quickmail block, click View Drafts to access draft emails or View History to access sent emails. The emails will appear in a list.
- Use the "Select Users" drop-down list to filter by user.
- Click the magnifying glass icon to continue editing a draft or to resend a sent email.
- Click the X icon to delete a draft or sent email.
Create and Edit Email Signatures
- Click Signatures next to the pencil icon in the Quickmail block.
- Type a title for your signature in the Ã¢â¬ÅTitle" text box. This allows you to choose between multiple signatures.
- Use the content manager to create the content for your signature.
- If you want the signature to automatically be added to your emails, click the checkbox next to Default.
- Click Save changes.
- To edit a previously created signature, select it from the drop-down list at the top of the page.
Use Alternate Email Addresses
- Click the Alternate Emails next to the pencil icon in the Quickmail block.
- To create your first alternate email address, click the Continue button.
- Type the alternate address into the "Email address" text box and click Save changes.
- A message will appear notifying you that you need to verify the alternate address. Click Continue.
- A list of alternate emails and their activation statuses will be displayed. You can use the actions in the column on the right to edit or delete the alternate email addresses.
- To complete the verification process so you can begin using your alternate address, open the email sent to your alternate account and click the verification link.
- The activation status will be changed to Ã¢â¬ÅApproved". To add another alternate email address, click the Add Alternate Address link at the top and repeat the steps above. Click the pencil icon to edit an email address or the X icon to delete an email address.