Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using the Quickmail Block to Email Students
The quickmail block allows you to send emails to groups of students within the class. It can also be set up to allow students to email people within their group.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleQuickmailBlock
Adding the Quickmail Block
If you do not see a Quickmail block in the left-hand column of your course site after scrolling all of the way down, add one.
- Click the Turn Editing On button at the top right-hand side of your screen.
- Scroll down until you see the "ADD A BLOCK" block and in the "Add" drop-down menu, select Quickmail.
Configuring the Quickmail Block
- In the Quickmail block, click Configuration.
- In the "Allow students to use Quickmail" drop-down menu, determine whether or not students will be able to see Quickmail in the course and use it to send emails.
- In the "Roles to filter by" drop-down menu, choose which user roles you can select while composing a bulk e-mail. By default, you can choose to send bulk emails to teachers, non-editing teachers or students. If you would like to send bulk emails to additional roles, select them here.
- In the "Prepend course name" drop-down menu, you can choose to automatically add course short names or ID numbers to the title of your emails. We recommend leaving this set to the course short name.
- In the "Receive a copy" drop-down menu, determine if you would like a copy of the email sent to your email address. Email copies will be stored in your "View History", regardless of this configuration.
Composing and Sending Emails
- In the Quickmail block, click Compose New Email.
- The "From" email address will default to your registered address. If you have set up alternate email addresses, you can select them from this drop-down menu.
- In the "Role filter" drop-down menu, highlight users with a specific role.
- In the "Potential Sections" field, highlight users from a certain group or set of groups.
- In the"Potential Recipients" field, highlight users individually.
- Once the correct users have been highlighted, click the Add button to move those users to the "Selected Recipients" field. Highlight users in the "Selected Recipients" list and click the Remove button to remove them.
- Use the file uploader to add attachments to your email.
- Type a subject line for your email into the "Subject" field.
- In the "Message" text editor, type the content of your email.
- If you have set up any signatures, you can select them from the "Signatures" drop-down menu.
- Use the "Receive a copy" radio buttons to select whether or not you want a copy of the email sent to your inbox.
- To save the email as a draft without sending it, click the Save Draft button. To send it, click the Send Email button.
Viewing Drafts and Sent Emails
- In the Quickmail block, click View Drafts to access draft emails or View History to access sent emails. The emails will appear in a list.
- Use the "Select Users" drop-down menu to filter by user.
- Click the Open Email (magnifying glass) icon to continue editing a draft or to resend a sent email.
- Click the Delete Email (X) icon to delete a draft or sent email.
- Click Compose New Email to start a new email.
Create and Edit Email Signatures
- In the Quickmail block, click Signatures.
- In the "Title" field, enter a title name. This allows you to choose between multiple signatures.
- Use the "Signature" text editor to create the content for your signature.
- If you want the signature to be automatically added to your emails, click the "Default" checkbox.
- Click the Save changes button.
Note: To edit a previously created signature, select it from the drop-down list at the top left-hand side of the page.
Use Alternate Email Addresses
- In the Quickmail block, click Alternate Emails.
- To create your first alternate email address, click the Continue button.
- Type the alternate address into the "Email address" text box and click the Save changes button.
- A message will appear notifying you that you need to verify the alternate address. Click the Continue button.
- A list of alternate emails and their activation statuses will be displayed. In the "Actions" column, you can click on the icons to edit or delete the alternate email addresses.
- To complete the verification process so you can begin using your alternate address, open the email sent to your alternate account and click the verification link.
- The activation status will be changed to “Approved". To add another alternate email address, click Add Alternate Address at the top of the page and repeat the steps above. Click the pencil icon to edit an email address or the X icon to delete an email address.