Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using i>clicker for Instructors
Learn how to add i>clicker to your course site and help students register their i>clickers.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleUseIClicker
What is i>Clicker?
i>clicker allows students to instantly provide feedback and answer questions posed by their instructors. Each student uses a “clicker,” a portable, handheld device, which allows students to vote by clicking on the appropriate button for his or her choice. i>clicker’s software stores the data for each student’s i>clicker response, and the instructor can display results in a graph, or refer to them later for analysis or grading.
Adding i>clicker to your course site
- Click here to download your i>clicker software for Windows. (Mac download link coming soon.)
Note: Don't download the software from iclicker.com. The UIUC version of the software includes important connections to Learn@Illinois. Also, be sure to download the most recent version of the software and stick with the same version for the duration of the course.
- Navigate to the folder on your computer where you downloaded i>clicker and unzip it. Go to the “Mac” folder if you are using a Mac, and the “Win” folder if you are using a PC. To launch the software, double click the iclicker file in Mac OS or iclicker.exe in Windows.
- Click the + Create button to create a new course in i>clicker and enter the name of your course.
- Click Settings.
- Click the Gradebook tab at the top. In the "LMS Name" drop-down menu, select Learn@Illinois.
- Click Select Course.
- In the “LMS Username” text box, type your NetID. Paste your single sign-on security key into the “Security Key" field and click Log In.
- A list of courses you have available will appear. Select the course you want to connect to i>clicker and click Select. The name of the course will now appear in the "Course Settings" window.
Note: In order for your course to appear in the list, it must be active and visible. You must also have the role of Teacher within the course.
- Click Save.
- Click Open Gradebook.
- At the top of the screen, click Sync Roster . Once i>clicker syncs with your course, you will see a list of your enrolled students. Students with registered i>clickers will be in blue, students who have not registered i>clickers will be in Red.
- To push scores from i>clicker to your course site gradebook, click Sync Scores. i>clicker scores can be found in the category "i>clicker polling scores" in your Moodle course gradebook.
Note: Do not rename or otherwise reorganize the category or grade items created by i>clicker. If you change an i>clicker grade in your course site gradebook and then sync scores from i>clicker, i>clicker will change those scores back.
Note: If you delete a session in i>clicker, it will not be deleted in your course gradebook. You must delete that grade item manually on your course site.
Having students register their i>clicker
A student must register their i>clicker in Moodle in order to associate the i>clicker with their NetID. Registration in Moodle will be valid for all Moodle courses that use i>clicker.
- Direct students to the i>clicker block on your course page and have them click Student Registration.
- Tell students to type the code from the back of their remote into the "Enter Your i>clicker Remote ID:" text box and click Register.
- To see which students haven’t yet registered and/or remote IDs that have not yet been registered, open the Gradebook in the i>clicker software and click the Students.
Note: If a student uses their i>clicker before registering it, they will still get credit for those sessions as long as they register the same remote they've been using.