Learn@Illinois Moodle - Student - Embedding Audio or Video from Illinois Media Space
Rather than hosting your audio and videos on YouTube, Soundcloud, or other third-party websites, you can host your content securely on Illinois Media Space. It is very simple to add media to Illinois Media Space and display it anywhere you use the Moodle Text Editor (including pages, forums, assignments) both as a student and instructor.
- Record your audio or video and save as a file type that can be added to Illinois Media Space, such as mp4.
Note: For best results, Illinois Media Space recommends preparing videos in 1280x720 pixels and using the H.264 video codec at about 4000 kb/s.
- Using the editing toolbar in the text editor, click the rainbow burst Illinois Media Space icon highlighted in red in the image below.
This will take you to a popup window.
Note: You may need to enable cookies in your browser preferences in order to access this window.
If you have already uploaded the video to the Illinois Media Space website, you will need to select your video and embed.
- In the new window, click Add New. Select Media Upload.
Note: Other options include: "YouTube", "Kaltura Personal Capture" (allows you to create a video using your webcam and/or a recording of your screen) and "Video Quiz" (allows you to select a video and insert interactive quiz questions).
- Click the Choose a file to upload button.
- Find the file on your computer and click Open.The file will take a moment to process. You can add a name and description of the file during that time.
- Once the file has processed, scroll down to the bottom of the window and click the Save button.
- In the upper right corner, click Save and Embed.
- You will see an image of your video.
Click the Embed media button on the left.
- In the editing window, you will see an embed link. Once you have saved and submitted, this will display embedded on screen. You can continue to edit this page, but do not edit this link or it will not function.
- When you are done editing, make sure to click the Save and display button.
- Student - Using Illinois Media Space for Audio Recording
- Student - Submitting an Illinois Media Space Assignment
- Student - Using the Moodle Text Editor
- Student Help