Learn@Illinois Moodle - Embedding Audio or Video from Illinois Media Space
It is very simple to add media to Illinois Media Space and display it anywhere you use the Moodle Text Editor (including pages, forums, assignments) both as a student and instructor.
Rather than hosting your audio and videos on YouTube, Soundcloud, or other third-party websites, you can host your content securely on Illinois Media Space.
- Record your audio or video and save as a file type that can be added to Illinois Media Space. For best results with video, Illinois Media Space recommends preparing videos in 1280x720 pixels and using the H.264 video codec at about 4000 kb/s.
- Using the editing toolbar in the text editor, access the Illinois Media Space window...
...by clicking the colorful Embed Illinois Media Space button.
This will take you to a popup window.
Note: You may need to enable cookies in your browser preferences in order to access this window.
If you have already uploaded the video to the Illinois Media Space website, you can skip steps 3-6.
- In the new window, click Add New. You have several options from here:
Media Upload will allow you to add a file from your computer.
Webcam recording will allow you to create a video using your webcam.
YouTube will allow you to pull a video from YouTube (only public YouTube videos are supported).
Video presentation allows you to sync media with documents.
Screen recording is a recording of your screen.
Because of the limitations in screen size and navigability through the text editor interface, we recommend going to the Illinois Media Space website for anything other than a file upload, YouTube connection, or brief video.
- Click Choose a file to upload.
- Find the file on your computer and click Open.
- The file will take a moment to process. You can add a name and description of the file during that time.
Once the file has processed, scroll down to the bottom of the window and click Save. Then click Back to Browse and Embed.
- The file should now appear in your list of available videos. Select the file from your available videos.
- You will come to a confirmation screen. This is your chance to review the file to make sure you have uploaded the correct one. If you have uploaded an audio file, it will display as a video player with a blank screen.
Click Embed media.
- In the editing window, you will see an embed link. Once you have saved and submitted, this will display embedded on screen. You can continue to edit this page (i.e. pasting in your script), but do not edit this link or it will not function.