Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using the Question Bank
The question bank is where you will create and manage questions that are used in the Quiz activity. Questions can be organized by category. Learn how to create categories, add questions, and suggested best practices when using the Question bank.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleQuestionBank
You can create categories like Unit 1, Unit 2, etc; subcategories such as Quiz 1, Quiz 2, etc; and even categories by topic. Categories can be used for many reasons, including:
- Questions can be separated by topic, making it easier to find certain questions when assembling exams
- Randomly selected questions from within a category can be used in a quiz, which makes it harder for students to cheat
- Questions can be reused in multiple different quizzes
- To access the Question bank, on the left hand side of the screen, find the Administration block and click Question bank.
- In the Administration block, under Question bank, click Categories. Here you can select from the categories you have created for this particular course. You'll have one category automatically, but it is a great idea to create more categories based on how you would like to organize the questions.
Note: If you have a need to share questions between courses or between users, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- To add a category, scroll to the bottom of the page.
- In the "Parent category" drop-down, select a category to contain this new category.
- In the "Name" field, enter a name for the category, e.g., Week 1 Quiz.
Note: We recommend leaving the "Category info" blank, as it can make the display very cluttered and does not add very much value.
- Then, click Add category at the bottom of the page.
- To access the question bank, on the left hand side of the screen, find the Administration block and click Question bank.
- To add a question, click Create a new question...
- Choose a question type from the list, and then click Add.
- You will then be able to enter your question. Make sure to select a category from the "Category" drop-down menu. The settings vary based on the question type.
- If you are creating many quizzes, we recommend creating all of the needed categories before adding questions.
- Make all questions in the question bank first and then make the quiz.