Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using Groups with Forums
A guide to using groups with Forums in Moodle.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleForumGroups
There are three group settings for forums:
- No groups – There are no groups, everyone is part of one big community.
- Note: Small groups of students are best to facilitate sustained, meaningful discussions. We recommend groups of 5-7 active students.
- Separate groups – Students can only see their own group. Students may not view or contribute to the discussions of other groups.
- Visible groups – Students may view but not contribute to the discussions of other groups.
The group mode can be changed from the Forum's "Edit settings" page (under the "Common Module Settings" section) but there is also a shortcut on your main course page.
- In the top right corner of the page, click the Turn Editing On button.
- Next to the the activity "Edit" link, click on the Groups icon to toggle between group settings.
Note: If students will be in different groups for different purposes over the course of the term, set a different grouping for each activity.