NetID passwords explained
How do I change my password? How long is my password good for? Can I sync my current password to a new account? What are the password requirements?
My password has expired? How do I regain access to my account?
- You must have recovery options defined for your account in order to regain access.
- To use your recovery options to regain access to your account, go to the UI-Identify Password Management application and click "My password is expired"
- If you know your current, active password, and would like to change it, click here to go to the UI-Identify Password Management application. You will log in using your current password, and then have the option to choose a new password.
- If you’ve forgotten your current password or if your password is expired, click here to regain access to your account; you will do so with a previously established account recovery option: a text, an email, or a call. If you’ve not set up self-service options, so are unable to recover your account, you will need to visit your University’s Help Desk.
- If you have a current, active password and a new account, you can sync the existing password to the new account. Perhaps, as an example, you’re a Chicago employee with an assignment at Springfield requiring UIS access, and you just got a new account. You can push out, or sync, your current password to the new account by using the UI-Identify Password Management application, logging in using your current password, and then resetting using the same password. Note that this will not extend the password expiration date. It will still expire when it was going to. Another option is to choose a new password and set that for all of your accounts.
How often do I need to change my password?
- At a minimum, for most users have to change their password at least once per year. Check with your campus IT or department IT for details.
- Must be at least 8 and no more than 127 characters in length.
- Must contain at least 1 uppercase letter.
- Must contain at least 1 lowercase letter.
- Must contain at least 1 number or 1 special character (no spaces).
- Must NOT contain four 4 sequential characters of your NetID.
- If shorter than 16 characters cannot contain words, certain terms, or sequences longer than 3 characters; this rule does not apply if password is between 16 and 127 characters.
- Cannot be from the last 3 years.