Learn@Illinois Moodle - Excluding a Grade for a Specific Student

If you would like to excuse a particular student from an activity, you can exclude the grade for that activity in the grade book. This will remove the value of that activity from calculating into their final grade. There are 2 ways to do this.

For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleExcludeGrades

Adding Exclusion - #1

  1. In the Navigation block, click Grades.
  2. In the Administration block, click Grader report.
  3. Click the Turn Editing On button at the top right-hand side of the page.
  4. Search for the appropriate student and grade item. In that cell, click the Edit grade (gear) icon .
  5. Click the Excluded checkbox.

    Note: You may want to also click the Hidden box to hide this score from this student – if you do not click the Hidden box, there is no indication to the student that this grade has been excused/removed. Alternately, enter a comment in the Feedback text box with the reason for the exclusion.

    Student perspective with no intervention:

    Student perspective when hidden:

    Student perspective with comment in feedback:
  6. Click the Save changes button.
  7. Click the Turn editing off button (at the top right-hand side of the page). The word “Excluded” is displayed in the gradebook cell.

Adding Exclusion - #2

  1. In the Administration block, click Gradebook setup.
    Click Gradebook setup screenshot
  2. Expand the drop-down menu at the top of the page and select "Single view".
    Select Single view screenshot
  3. In the "Select grade item" drop-down menu, select the appropriate activity.
    Select grade item screenshot
  4. In the "Excluded All/None" column, click the checkbox next to the student(s) you would like to exclude.
    Exclude All/None checkboxes screenshot
  5. Click the Save button.
    "Save" button
  6. A confirmation that the grades were set will appear. Click Continue.
  7. The grades will then recalculate. Click Continue.

    Note
    : Since there is no Hidden box on this page, you may want to enter a comment in the Feedback text box with the reason for the exclusion.

    Student perspective with no intervention:

    Student perspective with comment in feedback:
  8. In the "Single view" drop-down menu at the top of the page, select Grader report
    Select Grader report screenshot
  9. The word “Excluded” is displayed in the gradebook cell.

Calculation

Natural Aggregation Method (Sum)

In the case illustrated above, the grade items are all an even weight. In this case, the total score is determined by removing grade item 3 from the numerator and denominator.

So, rather than (10+10+0)/3 the calculation is (10+10)/2.

Weighted Aggregation Method

In a weighted grade book, this works a little differently.


In this grade book grade item 1 is worth 20% of the course total, grade item 2 is worth 30% of the course total, and grade item 3 is worth 50% of the course total. By excluding grade item 3, this will rescale those weights so that grade item 1 is worth 40%, grade item 2 is worth 60%, and grade item 3 is worth 0%. This is not well expressed in the grade book, but this is what is being calculated.


If you would like to schedule a grade book consultation, please contact us at atlas-tlt@illinois.edu.

Related Topics

Moodle.org Documentation




    Keywords:moodle, report, calculation, aggregation, weighted, sum, percentage, range   Doc ID:72370
    Owner:ATLAS-TLT .Group:University of Illinois Liberal Arts and Sciences
    Created:2017-04-06 13:23 CDTUpdated:2018-08-03 13:25 CDT
    Sites:University of Illinois Liberal Arts and Sciences
    Feedback:  0   0