Learn@Illinois Moodle - Importing Grades Using a Spreadsheet
You can import scores from a spreadsheet into your Learn@Illinois Moodle grade book in order to save time hand-entering grades.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleImportGrades
This feature is handy when you must manually enter grades for assignments outside of Moodle and prefer to keep these grades in an Excel file to upload at the end of the semester. It is advisable to keep grades in an Excel file that is generated by Moodle. This page explains (1) how to generate an almost-blank Excel file exported from Moodle that you can keep your grades in and (2) how to import the very same Excel file at the end of the semester to upload the grades to the Moodle gradebook.
Adding a Grade Item or Grade Items for the Assignment(s) you Wish to Grade in Excel
We recommend adding a new manual grade item for any assignment(s) you plan to grade in Excel. If you add grade items by adding new columns to your Excel file, the import procedure will automatically make the Max grade (total points) 100 points and you will not be able to add feedback. For this reason, we recommend adding manual grade items ahead of time.
Downloading a Blank File from MoodleIf possible, create your spreadsheet by exporting your roster from your course website. This way you can assure that you have a file that will work for uploading.
- In the Administration block, click on Gradebook setup.
- In the Administration block, click the arrow to the left of "Export" to expand the menu. Select Excel spreadsheet.
- Check the checkbox(s) to the right of the manual grade item(s) you have created that you would like to grade in Excel. Keep all other defaults, and click download. The file will download automatically.
- Your file will look something like this. The email addresses are correct and won't cause any errors in uploading.
- Delete the empty/useless columns (i.e., ID number, Institution, Department, and Last downloaded from this course).
- You may optionally insert one column for feedback.
- Use this file to keep your grades.
Preparing the File for Upload
- If you have followed the procedure for exporting the Excel file from Moodle above, simply delete the two columns with the students' first and last names. Now your file is ready.
- If you have your own Excel file and did not follow the procedure above, verify the following to prepare your file for upload:
- The file must contain the following information:
- One column with the exact email address for the students. This column cannot contain errors or spaces. If this information is not exact, the file will be rejected. The heading of this column can have any title.
- One column each with the real score for the students. If you have not already added the grade item to the gradebook, the heading will be the default name for this grade item.
- The file can contain:
- One column with written feedback for the students. This column cannot contain spaces.
- Delete all other columns.
- Your file should look more or less like this (with or without feedback) when you are finished:
- Finally, save this file in CSV format. You may get warnings from Excel when you save as a CSV. If these appear, just click continue.
Importing the File
- In the drop-down menu at the top of the page, under the "Import" section, select CSV file.
- Drag-and-drop or use the file picker to add the CSV file to the file uploader. You should be able to leave all of the other options at their default settings.
- When you are done, click the Upload grades button at the bottom.
Note: You will see up to 10 preview lines. Don't worry if all of your students don't appear.
- In the "Identify user by" section, make the following changes:
- "Map from" refers to the column in the CSV file. The heading of the email column from the CSV file should be selected here.
(Note: If you're using the NetID instead, the heading of the NetID column from the CSV file should be selected here.)
- "Map to" refers to the user information stored in Moodle. Select "Email address" from this drop-down.
(Note: If you're using the NetID instead of email address, select "Username". Do not select "User ID" or "ID number".)
- Grade item mappings: the columns in your spreadsheet will be listed here. You are mapping the columns from your CSV file to the gradebook.
- Set the email address (or NetID) field to "Ignore."
- Map the column in the CSV file to the proper grade item in the drop-down menu. You can do this for the feedback as well.
(Note: If you have not added the grade item ahead of time, select "New grade item". The feedback cannot be mapped.)
- If you have not added the grade item, map that column in the CSV file to "New grade item." The max score will default to 100 and you will not be able to upload feedback.
Click Upload grades. This action can take several minutes. If you receive an error message, make sure that your CSV file contains no errors and try again.