College of FAA, Guides and FAQs, How do I Connect to a Remote Desktop Server? (Mac OS)
Details on using the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on Mac OS X for remote server access.
- Though FAA-Desktop (faa-desktop1.ad.uillinois.edu) is used as an example below, other remote servers are available depending on your department and role.
- If you are located off-campus it is important that you first connect to the CITES VPN before attempting to connect remotely to a campus server. Instructions for getting connected with the VPN are here.
- Customers throughout FAA.
- Launch Microsoft Remote Desktop.app located in your Applications folder.
The icon looks like this:
- Click on the "New" button to add a new configuration. Connection details for FAA-Desktop are the following:
- Connection Name: FAA Desktop (This is just a nickname for the connection)
- PC name: faa-desktop1.ad.uillinois.edu (This is the computer hostname that you are connecting to)
- Username: uofi\NetID (If connecting to a UIUC server, use uiuc\NetID. If unsure, assume UOFI)
- Password: AD password
- Resolution settings are user preference.
- A window may pop up asking you to accept the server certificate. Go ahead and click "Continue" to finish connecting to the server.
- For general support please contact the Technology Services at FAA Help Desk.