College of FAA, How To: Connect to a Remote Desktop Server (Mac OS X)
This article applies only to Faculty, Staff and Students of the College of Fine and Applied Arts (FAA).
Details on using the Microsoft Remote Desktop app on Mac OS X for remote server access.
- Though FAA-Desktop (faa-desktop1.ad.uillinois.edu) is used as an example below, other remote servers are available depending on your department and role.
- If you are located off-campus it is important that you first connect to the CITES VPN before attempting to connect remotely to a campus server. Instructions for getting connected with the VPN are here.
- Customers throughout FAA.
- Launch Microsoft Remote Desktop.app located in your Applications folder.
The icon looks like this:
- Click on the "New" button to add a new configuration. Connection details for FAA-Desktop are the following:
- Connection Name: FAA Desktop (This is just a nickname for the connection)
- PC name: faa-desktop1.ad.uillinois.edu (This is the computer hostname that you are connecting to)
- Username: uofi\NetID (If connecting to a UIUC server, use uiuc\NetID. If unsure, assume UOFI)
- Password: AD password
- Resolution settings are user preference.
- A window may pop up asking you to accept the server certificate. Go ahead and click "Continue" to finish connecting to the server.
- For general support please contact the Technology Services at FAA Help Desk.