Learn@Illinois Moodle - Viewing the Gradebook and Course as a Student
Learn how to view the gradebook or the rest of your course as a student. This can help you understand what students see or do not see and help troubleshoot issues.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleViewAsStudent
- In the upper right corner, click the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Gradebook setup.
- At the top of the screen, click Gradebook setup to expand the drop-down menu and select User report.
- In the upper right corner, in the "Select all or one user" drop-down menu, click Choose. Select the student you would like to view the gradebook as.
- In the "View report as" drop-down menu just under "Select all or one user", click and select "User" or "Myself". Toggling back and forth between "User" and "Myself" can give you a sense of how your view and the student view differ.
Viewing the Course Site (other than the Gradebook) as a Student
- In the upper-right corner of your course site, click on your name.
- From the drop-down menu, select Switch role to.
- Click on the Student button to select the Student role.
Note: Switching roles is not perfect because you remain the same user, and your user may not have grades or group status, which will make some student views look different than a real student might see. To get an 100% accurate view, the best thing to do is to email firstname.lastname@example.org to ask for a test student account and enroll the test student in your course.
Returning to your Normal Role
- In the upper-right corner of your course website, click on your name.
- From the drop-down menu, select Return to my normal role.