SSW - How to Share a Printer
Most printers in the School of Social Work are shared printers, which means they are free for any computer to use. If you have a personal printer connected to your desktop, however, you'll have to follow these steps if you want another computer to use your printer without a wired connection.
- On the computer connected directly to the printer, open the Start Menu. Search for "Devices" and select "Devices and Printers".
- Right-click the printer you wish to share, and select "Printer properties" from the drop-down menu.
- Navigate to the "Sharing" tab on the window that appears and click "Change Sharing Options".
- Check the box next to "Share this printer" and click "OK".
- On the computer with which you wish to share the printer, press the Windows + R keys simultaneously, then type "\\" followed by the name of the computer directly connected to the printer (i.e SCH-PCXX or CFRC-PCXX). Click "OK" or press Enter.
- Double-click the printer from the list of devices and click "Install driver" when prompted for administrator permission.