Can I save my password in AnyConnect VPN?
The AnyConnect application does not allow you to save your password. This is primarily due to the UI Verify 2FA requirement when logging in. While this can be inconvenient, it helps ensure that only you are connecting to the UIC network, even if your device is lost or stolen. Also, the AnyConnect VPN is very stable, and so on many devices you are able to connect to the VPN and leave it connected for several days at a time, meaning there should be a limited need to login to AnyConnect repeatedly in a short period of time. See below for instructions on logging in to AnyConnect.
To ensure that access to the UIC network remains secure, it is not possible to save your password in AnyConnect.
If you have not yet installed the AnyConnect VPN client, first visit https://go.uic.edu/VPNinstructions and follow the installation and setup instructions for your platform. Otherwise, follow the below steps:
The AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client will appear again, confirming your connection.
- You will need to enter your credentials to connect to the VPN. After a successful login, the field names will change to become more descriptive (Username becomes NetID and Second Password becomes UI Verify Method).
- The Group will be pre-selected as General-Use, but you may want to change this. Review What group should I use for AnyConnect VPN? .
- In the Username field type your UIC NetID
- In the Password field type your UIC common password.
- In the Second Password field what you enter will depend on the UI Verify method you want to use. Follow the instructions below for the method of your choice:
- Type push if you have the Duo App installed in your smart phone, then click OK. Your phone will prompt you to authorize the login request via the Duo app. Approve the login request to proceed. For more information about the Duo mobile app, see this document: 2FA - Installing the Duo Mobile app
- Or type phone if you want to receive a phone call to your registered phone number, then click OK. Answer the call and follow the instructions given.
- Or type sms if you want to get a code via text message to your registered mobile device, then click OK. Your login attempt will ‘fail’ and you will be prompted to login to AnyConnect again. This time, re-enter your common password, and in the Second Password field enter the 6-digit code received via the text message. Note: the passcode expires after 5 minutes.
- If the above methods do not work for you, or you prefer not to use them, you can also directly enter the 6-digit code generated by your Duo mobile app or your registered OTP C100 physical token.
- To use the Yubikey model physical tokens, click within the Second Password field, and press the button on the Yubikey device. This will enter a long set of characters, and you can then click OK to log in.