Kaltura, Known Issues
known issues with Kaltura
The following are known issues with Kaltura and related tools. Possible work around solutions are included when one is available.
Kaltura in Compass2g, Illinois eText, Lon-Capa - Redirects(2018-04-10)
In late March 2018 we began seeing an issue with some embed codes in Illinois Compass 2g, Lon-Capa, and eText.
What the user experiences is this:
If a video was added with an embed code from MediaSpace, this is occurring. It only happens the first time you access one of these embeds during a session. It shouldn't be happening and we are working with Kaltura to address the root cause.
- log in to application (Illinois Compass 2g, Illinois eText, Lon-Capa) without already being logged into MediaSpace
- go to a page with an embedded video
- user is directed from the application to MediaSpace (https://mediaspace.illinois.edu/), not asked to log in again, but left at the front MediaSpace page.
- Hit back in the browser and then navigate to the page you were on.
- Log into MediaSpace first, and then log into the application (Illinois Compass 2g, Illinois eText, Lon-Capa)
- In iOS, there are problems with videos displayed at full screen (in Safari and Chrome). In portrait mode the video is pushed to the bottom of the screen but the entire video is displayed. In landscape mode almost half of the video is cut off. This is seen on iPhones and iPads. We recommend viewing fullscreen in portrait mode, or viewing the video in the browser without selecting full screen. The issue has been reported to the vendor. (2017-08-30)
- As of December 2017 there is a bug in the horizontal playlist player. If some of the content is password protected, and other content is not, the player controls are cut off. Once the viewer logs in and has access to view the media, the controls appear as normal. (2017-12-08)
Controls cut off
- Other Universities submitted reports of the online video editor not launching or working for users with an apostrophe in their name (e.g. O'Brien, A'mare). The apostrophe would be in a first or last name, not the netid. As of 2018-04-10 this is no longer an issue. This note remains in case someone saw the known issue report before. (updated 2018-04-10)
Personal Capture (2018-08-22)
- System audio can be recorded on Windows, but not on a Mac.
- Fixed 2018-10-24 -
No local preview at this time, videos must be uploaded to Kaltura.Local preview is now available.
- Fixed 2018-10-24 -
On screen annotations are not yet part of the application, this will be addressed by the vendor in a future update. On screen annotations are now possible in Personal Capture, but functionality is limited as of 2018-10-24. The annotator is best used for arrows to call out items or basic shapes. There are better on screen drawing tools and whiteboards at this time.
- Editing must be done online using Kaltura's editor.
- When adding a netid to a MediaSpace channel, the error "User NETID does not exist" appears. This message appears because the netid you are adding to the channel has never logged in to MediaSpace, and the system does not recognize the user name. It could also mean that the netid was entered incorrectly.
- If you see this, please contact the user you are trying to add and ask them to login. You can ask then add their netid
- If there are multiple netids, you need to add, specifically a roster, you can submit a ticket with the netids to our Kaltura support team.
- API Error
- Occasionally a user will experience an API error message when using the interface. If you see this message, try the command/action again and it should work. If the error persists, please send a screen shot or copy of the error message as a ticket to the helpdesk. Include what you were doing just prior to seeing the error.
KMS Go Mobile App
- 2018-10-24 The KMS Go Mobile App does not support dual video window screen switching on iOS or Android at this time. This can make it difficult to view screen recordings with dual sources or some lecture capture sources. It is on the roadmap to be addressed by mid 2019.