Kaltura, Trim, Copy, or Create a Clip of a video
Use the Video Editor feature under Edit to trim your videos or to create copies or clips.
Note well: The clipping function used to create a new entry and leave the original unchanged. This is no longer the case.
- Log into mediaspace.illinois.edu.
- Edit the video. Either hit the Edit button for the video in My Media or go to the video and choose Edit form the actions menu.
- Launch the editor. Either click on the "Launch Editor" button to the right of the video player, or choose Launch Editor from the options menu below it.
- Save a copy by clicking on the Save a Copy button in the upper-right. Any changes you make will effect the original. So it's a good idea to always do this before you start trimming, in case you make a mistake, or change your mind. * This is also the only way to make a copy of a video, even if you don't want to change the original. *
- Set the metadata for the copy on the next page.
- Now you're ready to start trimming. You can set a new start and end point, or chop in the middle. For fuller instructions, you can consult Kaltura's documentation: https://knowledge.kaltura.com/kaltura-video-editing-tools-editor-tab.
- When ready, hit the Save button.
Note that the "Saving is in progress" window will remain open while the video processes. This can be quite a while for longer videos. We have expressed our concern to the vendor about this.