Learn@Illinois Moodle - Lesson Activity
Learn how to use the Lesson activity. Generally we recommend using the Quiz activity instead of Lesson because the Lesson activity is not as well supported with updates.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleLesson
Examples of Using Lesson Activity
- Branching activities
- "Choose your own Path/Ending" activities
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is the difference between a lecture in Lesson and a lecture in Quiz?
Both Lesson and Quiz are appropriate for uploading lectures to your course. Putting a lecture into the Quiz activity allows you to insert questions into the lecture to check student viewing/comprehension.
- When should I put a lecture in Lesson instead of in Quiz?
Put a lecture in Lesson instead of in quiz when you want to do "Choose your own Path/Ending" activities and there are no comprehension questions that you care to insert.
- Can I use Lesson for video lectures and written content?
Yes, both the Lesson and Quiz activities are compatible with video or text/image content.
- Can Lessons be graded?
Yes, they appear in the gradebook by default. To make the lesson ungraded, go down to the Grade section under Edit settings and change the Practice Lesson setting to "Yes."
- Communicate dates in a way that is easy to maintain
- Rarely use hard due dates (e.g. September 22, 2017) - opt for relative dates (e.g. Tuesday of Week 1) whenever possible
- Use the year when typing hard due dates so that if it does not get updated, it will be clear that this is the wrong date.
- When you would like to collect submissions at midnight, consider using 11:55pm instead. Students are often confused when something is due on Monday at midnight, but the system says that it is due on Tuesday at 12:00am.
Groups and Groupings