Learn@Illinois Moodle - Adding Extra Credit
Adding extra credit to your course as a percentage point or percentage points onto the final grade is the easiest and best way to incorporate extra credit. You can do this by adding a manual grade item.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleExtraCredit
- In the Administration block, click Gradebook setup.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Add grade item button.
- Enter the "Item name" and "Maximum grade".
Note: For a gradebook using percentages, entering a 1 for the "Maximum grade" will add 1 percentage point to the student's final grade point average. For a gradebook using 1000 total points, entering a 10 for the "Maximum grade" will add 1 percentage point to the student's final grade point average.
- At the bottom of the page, click the Save changes button.
- Find the grade item in the Gradebook setup table, click Edit, and select Edit settings.
- Under the "Parent category" section, click the "Extra credit" checkbox.
Note: This option was unavailable before.
- Click Save changes to save.
- Check that the grade item to confirm that there is a small "+" to the right of the points value. This verifies that the grade item is now extra credit.
- At this point, look over the gradebook and verify that the point totals have not changed by adding extra credit.
- If you have set up your gradebook using percentages, make sure that the weight and the total for each category are the same and reflect the desired percentage in the course.
- If you have set up your gradebook using points, make sure that the "Course total" is the desired amount (usually 1,000).