Email, Guidelines and best practices to Massmail, Bulkmail and survey email
Guidelines for sending mass mail or survey email.
Guidelines for Sending Mass Mail
- The Campus Exchange service does not support mass mail from 3rd parties and not give a 3rd party access to the email relays.
- The Campus Exchange Service is designed to support 'User' email and has a limit of 200 recipients (to:) for outbound email. All email with a large number of to: addresses will be scrutinized by spam filters because it fits a classic spam signature. We recommend you use one of the massmail options for large audiences.
- The server smtp.illinois.edu requires a userid/password and is used by IMAP clients (e.g. Thunderbird, etc.) or 'on campus' custom software. It is not to be used by Campus Members to send email via 3rd party vendors (e.g. Surveys, or mass mailings).
The Options for Sending Mass Mail Include:
- The Campus Web Tools, https://webtools.illinois.edu/
- MassMail - a service to send email to "Campus" members. See the FAQ for details: https://illinois.edu/webservices/massmail/faqs.html
- Email+ - a service to send email to anyone. See Email+ Best Practices guidelines.
- Create a mail list on the Campus Mailing List Service, https://lists.illinois.edu/. This service supports both on and off campus email addresses.
- Log into web site with your campus userid/password and click the "create list" tab. Details found in the Quick Start Guide to List Creation and Basic Management.
- Create a subscribers list - subscriber lists can be automated. See, Adding Subscribers to a Mail List for options.
- Send the email to the mail list and the server will send individual email email to the recipients.
- This server also provides bounce back statistics.
- The Campus Email Relays can be used for surveys targeting campus members in campus domains. To use the Campus Email Relays, we will need 3 distinguishing pieces of information from the vendor so we can create a short lived rule on the campus email relays that will accept email from that vendor. The information includes:
- the IP address of the sending server(s)
- a distinguishing email header like: x-survey: surveyName
- a key word in the subject or body of the email
- Use a 3rd party vendor to send the mass email. There are a number of Survey vendors recognized by the Campus, see KB article: WebStore, Online Survey Tools.
That said, all incoming email to campus members is subject to standard spam filtering so keep your bulk email plain and simple. How you may ask? Search Google for "How to send bulk email without spamming guidelines" for more information.