Learn@Illinois Moodle - Setting up the Gradebook Using Points
Setting up the gradebook with raw point values is more challenging than setting up a gradebook with percentages.
Do the Math
|Discussion Forum Posts||20%|
|Discussion Forum Posts||200 points|
|Attendance||100/1= 100 points each|
|Discussion Forum Posts||200/8 = 25 points each|
|Assignments||300/6 = 50 points each|
|Quizzes||100/2 = 50 points each|
|Tests||300/2 = 150 points each|
Edit Maximum Grades
Make the Course Level Aggregation Type "Natural Sum of Grades"
- To start, go to Gradebook setup in the Administration block on the left.
- To the far right of the course title, click Edit, and then Edit settings.
- Under "Aggregation", select Natural (Sum of Grades). This means that your gradebook is calculated by adding up all of the points in the course. This setting also makes it possible to add extra credit.
- Click Save changes.
Optional: Use Categories in a Points Gradebook Setup
Create Categories in the Points Gradebook
If you choose to set up categories, use the following procedure.
- In the Administration block, click Gradebook setup (if you are not already on the Gradebook setup page).
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click the Add category button.
- Enter/select the following:
• Under "Grade category" -> "Category name" type in the name of your category (e.g. Quizzes).
• Under "Aggregation," select "Natural (Sum of Grades)," which should be the default.
- Click the Save changes button.
- Repeat the same process for each category.
Creating a Category to Drop the Lowest Grade
If you need to drop the lowest quiz/assignment/etc., you will need to create a category for that type of assignment. Please see our help page Dropping the Lowest Score for more information.