Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using an Ungraded Category to Clean up the Gradebook
It is possible to use an ungraded category in your gradebook and put ungraded activities into it to prevent grade calculation errors.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleGradebookUngraded
Before you decide to create an Ungraded category, we always recommend simply deleting unused items from the gradebook or setting their Maximum grade to 0 if possible instead of using this method.
If you have many unused activities/items in your gradebook and cannot delete them, you can create an additional category in the gradebook called Ungraded to make sure that your gradebook is accurate. All activities, even hidden activities, will be in your gradebook by default and can greatly distort your gradebook totals. You can move anything that you don't want calculated into students' grades to an ungraded gradebook category to make sure that your calculations are perfect.
- To start, go to the Administration block and click Gradebook setup.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Add category button.
- Enter/select the following:
- Under "Grade category" -> "Category name" type in Ungraded.
- Under "Aggregation," select Mean of grades.
- Under "Category total," type 0 into the "Maximum grade" field. This will insure that all activities in this category are weighted to 0%.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the Save changes button.
Note: Notice that our unused items outside of the "Ungraded" category are drastically distorting our desired course total of 100% in this percentage-style gradebook.
- Move the activities/items that you don't want to be graded into the "Ungraded" category. See our Putting an Activity into a Gradebook Category page for more information on how to do this.
Note: Notice that the course total is now 100% as it should be because everything that we don't want graded is weighted to 0% in our new "Ungraded" category.