Learn@Illinois Moodle - Adding a Gradebook Category
Grade categories can be used as a strictly organizational tool (e.g., adding a category for each module) or can be used to perform calculations (e.g., dropping the lowest value or having a weighted grade category).
- Select Gradebook setup from the Administration block on the left side of your course page.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and click Add category.
- Set the following:
- Under "Grade category" -> "Category name", type in the name of your category (e.g., Quizzes).
- Under "Aggregation", you have several options. Select one and Save.
- Select "Natural (Sum of Grades)," for points gradebooks
- Select "Mean of grades" for percentage gradebooks
- Select "Simple weighted mean of grades" for percentage gradebooks in which the different point values correspond to the desired weights
- Select "Weighted mean of grades" for percentage gradebooks in which you need to explicitly specify different weights for activities within the category
- Move the activities (in this example, all quizzes) into the category. For help on this, see our Putting an Activity into a Gradebook Category help page.