Learn@Illinois Moodle - Creating a Category Folder to Organize your Gradebook
Learn how to create a category folder to organize your gradebook. For example, you can sort by activity type (e.g., quizzes, assignments), modules (e.g., Module 1, Module 2), to drop the lowest grades of a set of activities, and/or to create folders with different weights (e.g., make quizzes 15% of the grade).
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleGradebookCategories
- In the upper right corner, click the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Gradebook setup.
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page and click Add category.
- Enter the name of your category.
- In the "Aggregation" drop-down menu, select the desired aggregation type.
For percentage gradebooks, under "Category total", enter a "Maximum grade" equal to the percentage the category is worth in the course (e.g. enter 20 if your folder is worth 20% of the final grade).
- For points gradebooks, select "Natural (Sum of Grades)".
- For percentage gradebooks, select "Mean of Grades" or "Simple weighted mean of grades" (select the latter if varying point values correspond to desired weights).
Click the Save changes button.
Move the appropriate activities (in this example, all quizzes) into the category.