Access Email and Calendar Off Campus
Due to security considerations, the network port that Outlook uses by default to access your Exchange mailbox is not accessible from off campus. Below solutions that will allow you to access your email account from off-campus:
Use a web browser to access your email
Using a web browser and the internet, Outlook Web Access (OWA) provides access to your Exchange account from anywhere in the world at any time.
- OWA allows access to email, scheduling (including group scheduling), contacts, and Exchange folders. You can drag-and-drop, use pop-up menus, toolbars, out-of-office settings, and delegate access to your calendar. You can double-click to create appointments and meetings, view meeting reminders in pop-up windows, search your mailbox, and view and edit distribution lists stored in your contacts folder. OWA also features New Email alerts and meeting reminders.
- Using Internet Explorer, OWA functions much like a standard version of Outlook. (Other browsers can be used, but may not be as functional.)
- Login to OWA: https://webmail.illinois.edu
Use the Virtual Private Network (VPN) Client and Outlook
- Using the VPN Client will allow you full access to University of Illinois network resources when at home or when using IllinoisNet Wireless, including allowing your Microsoft Outlook client to behave exactly as it does on campus.
- The VPN system is available to any Urbana-Champaign student, staff, or faculty member who wishes to participate.
- Your department may run its own VPN service. If this is the case, please talk to your local network administrator for installation and configuration instructions.