Learn@Illinois Moodle - Deducting Points from a Student's Final Grade
You can deduct points from a student's final grade by creating a special gradebook item, making it extra credit and inputting negative point values in the Single view interface. This will work for both percentage and points gradebooks.
- Go to Gradebook setup.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click the orange Add grade item button.
- Enter an Item name, Maximum grade of -0.01, a Minimum grade of the most points you will deduct (e.g., if you want to deduct 10 points, enter -10) and Save.
Note: The Max grade needs to be negative, but by doing this it appears as a range of “-10--0” to students, leading to less confusion.
- Now click to Edit the grade item you have just created.
- Check the "Extra credit" box and Save changes.
- The Max grade should display as "-0.01+".
- In the Administration block in the top left, click on Single view.
- Select the grade item you have just created (e.g. Deducted Points) from the "Select grade item" drop-down menu.
- If you have more than 100 students, change the display number in the "Items per page" drop-down at the bottom of the page to a number higher than the total number of students.
- Input negative point values. For students who are not being penalized, leave the field empty.
- You will be notified that grades were set. Press Continue.