Learn@Illinois Moodle - Using "Make Available" a.k.a. "Stealth Mode"
Stealth mode is a mode in which an activity is not visible to students on the course page, but can still be accessed via a link.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleStealthMode
Stealth mode can be used in the following ways:
- Tidying up sections for students by listing multiple activities on a Page/Label resource, using autolinking.
- Making an activity/resource only available through automatic links (e.g., a page that defines a challenging term used in the course that will not be featured as a part of any particular unit)
- Re-creating the effect of the "Orphaned activities" section work-around
- Organizing content behind the scenes in hidden sections and being able to link to the content as needed in visible portions of the course
- First, hide the activity by clicking on the Edit button to the far right of the activity and select Hide from the drop-down menu.
- Click the same Edit button again and select Make available from the drop-down menu.
Note: "Make available" is only used when an activity is hidden. If you want students to be able to see the activity on the main course page, you must select "Show".
- Now, the activity will display with the visibility "Available but not shown on course page", indicating it is in stealth mode.
- To link to the activity in another part of the course, you can simply use the name of the activity on any Page, Lesson, Quiz, Label, or Section Summary -- for more information, see our guide on Autolinking.