How do I get a custom domain name for my website
Custom domains are available through the university domain registration service.
Department level domains such as yourDomain.ece.illinois.edu do not have a charge associated with them. For department level domains, email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org
. Include in your request the following information:
- The custom domain you would like
- Where your website is hosted
Once the custom domain is created and points to your web hosting, there are additional steps you will need to complete.
- If your website is hosted on the https://publish.illinois.edu the next steps are here.
- If your website is hosted on the campus cPanel service go here for next steps.
- If your website is hosted elsewhere, refer to the hosting documentation.
The following instructions apply only to third-level domains such as yourdomain.illinois.edu or non-edu domains such as .net or .org domains.
Third level domains are restricted to campus wide centers or endeavors, require approval from campus and are not free. They can only be paid for with university account numbers. There are guidelines for choosing third-level domains.
To request a third level domain or a non-.edu domain send the following to email@example.com
- Requested domain name
- Short description of the intended use for the domain
- University account name and number to which any registration fees may be charged ($10 per year for illinois.edu domains, plus additional charges per year for .net, .org, and .com domains.)
- Where the website is hosted. Do not request the domain before you have created a hosting location.
The additional steps listed above are also required for third level and non-.edu domains.