Echo 360 - Getting a Video's Public or Embeddable Link
Instructions getting a video's public or embedded link in Echo 360
There may be times when a capture or video needs to be shared with a larger audience than a few classes or select individuals. In this case, you can copy the public link for the content, then post that link anywhere you like. You can also generate "embed code" to surround the public link, for embedding directly into a portal or social media site.
Public links can be truly "public", allowing anyone who can access that location to view the video in a browser. You may also choose to set authentication on a public link, requiring anyone who clicks to view the link, to log in. This means that only Echo360 users at your institution can view the linked capture.
IMPORTANT: Setting authentication for a public link means a user must log in to Echo360 to view it. For LMS users or those authenticated via their institution's SSO (i.e., users who do not have a direct Echo360 login), those users will need to have already accessed Echo360 through their browser (for example, to view a section). As long as they are already authenticated for Echo360 when they click the link, the link will work.
You can also create multiple different public links for a piece of content. This allows you to configure different options for each link, for posting in different locations. For example, you may have a public link that doesn't require authentication and one that does. This allows you to post them in different locations, and to deactivate and/or delete one of them without affecting the other.
This option is only available for video/capture media.
You can get the link for a video from the Sharing tab of the Content details page, accessible from the class list (for instructors) or from your LIBRARY page.
You may not see the Public Link option. If your administrator has disabled public links, you will not see the public link option for your video media.
To share a video link from your library
- Below the capture viewing pane, click the SHARING tab.
- In the Public links section of the Sharing tab, click ADD PUBLIC LINK.
- The Public links section changes to show the newly generated link along with the options available.
- As necessary, configure the options for the link as follows:
- Active slider: When enabled, clicking the link plays the linked content. If disabled, the link URL itself remains valid but users clicking the link cannot view the content.
- Delete: Permanently deletes the URL and its relationship with the content. If the URL remains posted publicly, clicking it will return a content not found error, as there is no longer any association between the URL and the content. Future public links to this content will have a different ID number in the URL.
- Description: Enter a description for the link. This is useful for identifying the purpose of the link or the location to which it is to be posted.
- Start at slider: When enabled, allows you to set a 'starting location' for the content. Users can view the entirety of the video, but by default the video begins playing at the location you set.
- Authenticate slider: When enabled, requires users to log in to Echo360 to view the linked content. If users are authenticated through an LMS or SSO system, and the user is already authenticated as an Echo 360 user in their browser (for example, the user recently viewed an Echo360 section) the user will be automatically passed through.
- If appropriate, click EMBED to generate embed code around the link for embedding into an accommodating program or location.
- In the Embed modal that appears, configure the embed link options as follows:
- Size drop-down: Select the size (height and width) of the embedded video playback. For bandwidth considerations of the viewer, select the smallest size reasonable for the type of content being posted.
- Autoplay slider: When enabled, the content automatically begins playing when the link is accessed.
- Automute slider: Only available if Autoplay is enabled; automatically mutes the video on playback. Users can un-mute the content as needed.
- COPY: When clicked, copies the embed code shown in the text box to your clipboard, for pasting to an appropriate location. If the original public link had already been copied to your clipboard, the embed code replaces that paste-able content.
- Click Cancel to close the Embed modal.
- When finished, you can close the Content details page and return to your original location.
The Public link you created appears in the Sharing tab until it is deleted. It is available for all users who have access to a content's sharing information (content owners, instructors, and admins).
Click into the Link box of a public link to copy it again, at any time.
YOU CAN CREATE MULTIPLE PUBLIC LINKS Notice that after you create a public link, the ADD PUBLIC LINKS button remains. This allows you to create additional public links with different properties as needed.
© 2017 Echo360 | www.echo360.com