Learn@Illinois Moodle - Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Tips for Synchronous Class Sessions
If it is your first time using Collaborate Ultra for your live (synchronous) class session or it has been awhile since you have used it in in this way, review these tips for a smooth online class session. Settings in the actual session do not stick and have to be reset every time. Here are a couple of helpful reminders to look over before you start.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleCollaborateTips
Recording Your Session
- In the upper left-hand corner, click on the icon with three horizontal lines.
- Click on "Start Recording".
Enabling Student Chat Messages
- In the bottom right, click on the purple tab with the double arrows.
- Click on the gear icon.
- Click on "Session Settings".
- Under "Participants can:", check the "Post chat messages" checkbox.
Posting a PowerPoint File
- In the bottom right, click the purple tab with the double arrows.
- Click the button with a square enclosing an arrow.
- Click Share Files.
- Click Add Files and select the file.
Note: If you get an error message when adding a Power Point file, make sure the file is not open, try saving it in the old .ppt format, and try adding it again.
- Click Share Now.
Erasing in the Whiteboard
- Click the arrow button.
- Click on the text or line that you want to delete.
- Press the Backspace or Delete key on your keyboard to delete it.
Known Issue with Names Displaying as Numbers (June 2018)
There is currently a known issue with names not displaying correctly in Collaborate Ultra sessions. See our help doc Work Around for Collaborate Ultra Numbers instead of Names for help with this.