Learn@Illinois Moodle - Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Tips for Synchronous Class Sessions
Learn how to use Collaborate Ultra for your live (synchronous) class session. Review these tips for a smooth online class session. Here are a couple of helpful reminders to look over before you start.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleCollaborateTips
Recording Your Session
Record your session for students that cannot be in attendance.
- In the upper left-hand corner, click on the icon with three horizontal lines.
- Click on "Start Recording".
Enabling Student Chat Messages
Make sure that students can post chat messages to comment or ask questions during the class session.
- In the bottom right, click on the purple tab with the double arrows.
- Click on the gear icon.
- Click on "Session Settings".
- Under "Participants can:", check the "Post chat messages" checkbox.
Posting a PowerPoint File
You may want to have a PowerPoint or PDF file displayed as you are giving your lecture.
- In the bottom right, click the purple tab with the double arrows.
- Click the button with a square enclosing an arrow.
- Click Share Files.
- Click Add Files and select the file.
Note: If you get an error message when adding a Power Point file, make sure the file is not open, try saving it in the old .ppt format, and try adding it again.
- Click Share Now.
Erasing in the Whiteboard
If you are using the whiteboard function, do not use the erase button because it will delete everything you have written and there is no undo. To undo something you have written:
- Click the arrow button.
- Click on the text or line that you want to delete.
- Press the Backspace or Delete key on your keyboard to delete it.
Old Issue with Names Displaying as Numbers (June 2018)
There was a known issue with names not displaying correctly in Collaborate Ultra sessions. This issue has been fixed with our update. If you have this issue (indicated by Collaborate Ultra icons that are orange instead of purple), please add a new Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Activity and delete the old one. This will take care of the issue.
Blackboard Collaborate Documentation