How do I add users to my site?
Explains how a user can add someone to their site.
Only Administrators can add new users to their Red site. Please follow these 3 steps (below) to add users to your site — it is most important to check the box that allows you to Skip Confirmation Email. This prevents the user from getting a WordPress standard email that gives misinformation regarding passwords. All users must be added with their UIC NetID and email. Do not copy & paste the User’s NetID into the data fields mentioned below, please type them out, otherwise it will cause an error after adding the user, resulting in the user not having access to the site.
- In your site dashboard, under Users, select Add New.
- There are 2 options for adding Users: Add Existing User and Add New User. The terms Existing and New apply to the user status on the Red network, not just your website.
- If you are not certain if the user is new or existing, you can begin to add the user NetID in the Add Existing User field “Email or Username” — a wheel animation will spin, as if searching for the user — if the user is in the network on another site(s), you will see matching user information and can select the correct NetID (email) that shows. Select the appropriate access Role the new user should have and remember to check the box to Skip Confirmation Email. Then click the Add Existing User button.
- If a user doesn’t already exist on the network, nothing will appear as a suggested NetID/Email once the wheel animation stops (after typing at least two characters into the data field).
- If the user is not in the network yet, use the Add New User fields to add a valid UIC NetID for the Username and the corresponding UIC email address. Since users login through Bluestem, you may not use any information that does not match their UIC NetId and UIC email for their Red account. Select the appropriate access Role the new user should have and remember to check the box to Skip Confirmation Email. Then click the Add New User button.
- ADDING A USER CAVEAT: Please check to see if a user is an “Existing User” on the Red network before adding as a “New User” (see step 2 above). If you try to add an already “Existing User” as a “New User” (via the New User section form of Add User), it will claim the “user has been added,” when in reality that particular user will NOT have been added with permissions to the site.