Learn@Illinois Moodle - Entering Zeros for Empty Grades
Learn how to quickly enter zeros for empty grades (unentered grades for activities not completed by particular students) using the "bulk insert" feature in "Single view". It is crucial to enter 0s for incomplete work to prevent grades from becoming artificially inflated or deflated.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleEnteringZeros
- Make sure that you are on your course homepage.
- In the upper right corner, click the Actions menu gear.
- From the drop-down menu, select Gradebook setup.
- From the "Gradebook setup" drop-down menu, select Single view.
- Under the "Select grade item" drop-down menu, select the activity that you want to grade.
- At the bottom of the page, check the "Perform bulk insert" checkbox and leave the default settings the same (i.e. "Empty grades;" 0). This changes all missing/empty grades of the students displayed on this page for this activity/item to 0.
Note: Make sure that the "Items per page" number is large enough to include all of your students. The grades for students not appearing on the page will not be changed.
- Click Save.
- The number of updated grades will display. Click Continue.
- Repeat steps 5-8 to batch enter zeros for other activities.
We encourage you to take advantage of our quick and free gradebook audits to make sure that your gradebook is ready for entering final scores. Please contact email@example.com to request a gradebook review or schedule an in-person consultation.