Learn@Illinois Moodle - Entering Zeros for Empty Grades
It is a best practice in Moodle to always enter zero for incomplete activities. When zeros are not entered, grades can become artificially inflated or deflated.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleEnteringZeros
The best way to turn empty (unentered) grades into zeros in batches for each activity is to use the "Single view" interface to access the "Perform bulk insert" function.
- In the Administration block on the left-hand side of the page, click Gradebook setup.
- In the Gradebook setup Administration block, click on Single view.
- Under the "Select grade item" drop-down menu, select the activity that you want to grade.
- Click the "Perform bulk insert" checkbox and leave the default settings the same (i.e. "Empty grades;" 0). This changes all missing/empty grades of the students displayed on this page for this activity/item to 0.
- Click the Save changes button.
- Click the Continue button.
- Repeat steps 3-6 for all activities for which you need to add zeros.
We encourage you to take advantage of our quick and free gradebook audits to make sure that your gradebook is ready for entering final scores. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org to request a gradebook review or schedule an in-person consultation.