Virtual Machine Hosting Service
This page will show you how to request a virtual machine through Engineering ITs Virtual Machine Hosting Service
The Virtual Machine Hosting Service (VMHS) allows for hosting Linux or Windows virtual machines by members of the college of Engineering. The VM's are intended to be smaller machines, for people to run programs, applications and such. Virtual machines are sometimes a better choice than physical machines as they require no physical space, are more easily upgraded (or downgraded) as needed, require less up-front cost and can be paid for only as long as needed. These machines are not intended to be used as storage or applications servers - and are sized accordingly.
To learn more about the service details, please read the section Service Details.
I need a VM, What do I do?
The quickest way to request a VM is to submit a ticket to Engineering IT.
How do I access my VM?
If you have a Windows OS based VM - you can use Remote Desktop Protocol to connect to your machine.
If you have a Linux OS based VM - you can use SSH, or FastX to connect to your machine
How do I request fewer/more units?
To resize your VM, simply submit a ticket to Engineering IT.
How do I stop using the service (and stop getting billed for it)?
To cancel your service and end billing, simply submit a ticket to Engineering IT.
- 100G of storage per VM
- Available in units of 1 core/2G memory, from 1-10 units per VM
- Pre-installed with Windows 10 or Engineering’s managed Linux (CentOS or Ubuntu).
- Size of system can be modified if needs change (still in unit increments)
- Optional: Replication to ensure maximum uptime
- Optional: System backups to increase restore time in case of incident
- Easy connection to Engineering IT Storage
- Vcenter web access if needed
- Staff, Faculty, Departments and Units, Research Groups, RSOs, within the College of Engineering.
- Requests will receive a response within one business day, Monday through Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm, excluding University holidays.
- The VM host is available 24/7.
- NOTE: Service does not guarantee 24/7 availability of individual VMs.
- Additional support for VMs may be purchased as a part of the server maintenance service.
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 217-333-1313
- $75.83 per Unit per year
- $18.96 per unit per quarter (see Quantity Purchasable below for Unit definition).
- Service can be purchased in unit increments.
- A VM consists of 100GB of storage plus some number of units, where a unit is 1 virtual core and 2 GB of RAM.
- Virtual Machines of 1-10 units are available. Larger number of units may be available on a case-by-case basis.
- Backups/Replication are purchasable as additional units.
- Additional storage is purchasable via our storage service.
- Billed quarterly. Bills only issued in quarterly increments.