OverviewThis article provides information on adding course staff and students to your course. For other important start of semester tasks, please see https://go.illinois.edu/ews-instructor-checklist.
Add / Modify course staff, graders
- The course staff group is automatically populated with the course instructor associated in Banner. Please confirm staff and TA appointments are in Banner by contacting your unit's administration office before using this tool. Course staff that are pulled from Banner can then modify the staff group to add additional instructors, TAs, etc. The course staff group is used for administrative permissions in the course (viewing and editing the rosters, editing web information, access to course file shares, etc.).
- The course graders group is a secondary group that doesn't have any of the staff permissions. It can be used to associate graders with the course, and enable access to course content (i.e. file shares) to allow the graders to do their work. If your course requires a graders group, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Any student registered for any College of Engineering course in Banner will automatically be added to the course roster and have an EWS account provisioned for them. Banner processing is done nightly, so if the student adds the course on Tuesday, they will be added to the course groups by early Wednesday morning.
Instructors only need to add students who are not officially registered for the course. This is not an official registration with the class, but gives the student full access to the course's resources. These students should still go through the Banner processes to be registered with the course.
Any users associated as course staff (see "Add / Modify course staff, graders") can modify the class roster groups:
- Select "View roster" under the course heading at https://my.engr.illinois.edu/classtools/
- Select the term (e.g. Spring 2021) and the section you want to associate the student with
- Scroll to the bottom of the roster table to 'Add unofficial auditor by netid to section', and add students here
About an hour after a new student has been added to a course roster, their EWS account should be ready to use. If you manually add a student and they later register for the course in Banner, the roster will automatically get updated.
Software requests must be tied to an academic course with an assigned CRN. We ask for a minimum of 10 business days' notice to fulfill software requests (or more for multiple software titles). Many requests are processed more quickly, but licensing issues and conflicts with our environment may cause additional delay. Please note the EWS Labs are an instructional resource; due to the terms of our software license contracts and instructional funding for EWS resources, academic research is prohibited on EWS resources.
Course website toolsCourse Website Hosting documentation
Short URL for this page: https://go.illinois.edu/ews-instructor-tools