How to add an Engineering printer on Linux
Instructions for connecting to an Engineering College department printer. These instructions do not apply to Engineering Workstation (EWS) labs.
For an overview of printing at the Engineering College or instructions for non-Windows operating systems, see Engineering College Printers.
Step-by-step, with screenshots
Example from graphical Ubuntu 14.04
- Click the 'gear and wrench' icon to open 'System Settings'.
- SMB Printer: engr-print-01.engr.illinois.edu/printer-name
- Authentication: Select 'Set authentication details now'
- Username: uofi\NetID (e.g. uofi\jsmith2)
- Password: Your regular NetID password
- Click the 'Forward' button.
- Do not click 'Verify...'. This usually doesn't work until the printer has been fully added.
- Select the appropriate manufacturer and click 'Forward'.
- Select the appropriate model and click 'Forward'.
- Check the box for duplexing (printing on both sides)
- Select the 500-sheet option for Tray 3.
- Make sure not to select options that the printer itself does not support.
- Sometimes the test page does not work the first time. If so, you may open the printer's properties and try again.
- If the test page was successful, you'll see 'Idle' in the 'Printer State:' field after the test.
- If the test page failed, that field may show an error, which can be useful in troubleshooting.
apt-get install samba smbclient
Additional Linux Resources
Our ability to support multiple Linux ditributions is limited. See the following resources for possible support for your unique distribution.
Short URL for this page: http://go.illinois.edu/engr-printing-linux