How do I install and use UIC VPN on iOS?
This document provides instructions on use of UIC’s VPN solution. Please note that the use of this VPN solution requires you to enroll in the university’s Two-Factor Authentication (2FA) solution. 2FA provides an additional level of security to protect your resources.
UIC students, faculty, and staff can use these directions to set up their Apple iOS devices to connect to the Virtual Private Network (VPN).
The use of UIC's VPN solution requires you to enroll in the university’s 2-Factor Authentication (2FA) solution. If you haven't enrolled, visit https://identity.uillinois.edu and follow the steps. You will need to be enrolled prior to connecting to the VPN.
The Cisco AnyConnect VPN software is available for download and installation through the App Store on iTunes:
- Use the above link to find Cisco AnyConnect in the iTunes App Store
or open the iTunes App Store on your device and search using keywords: "cisco anyconnect."
- Click Get to download the app.
- Click Open to open the app on your device.
- After installing, a window may pop up, stating: "AnyConnect" Would like to Send you Notifications. Click Don't Allow or Allow depending on your preference.
NOTE: This software may not be compatible with iOS 5 and older versions of iOS. Consult the App Store for compatibility with your device.
- Click Connections and click "Add VPN Connection..." to add a new connection profile.
- Enter the following VPN settings:
- Description: UIC VPN
- Server address: vpn.uic.edu
- Click Save.
- You will get a pop up stating: "AnyConnect" would like to Add VPN Configurations. Click Allow. Note: If you click Don't Allow, the VPN installation will fail.
- Confirm the choice by entering in your ios password. You have now stored your VPN configuration.
- In the AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client window that appears:
- Under "Connections," ensure UIC VPN is selected
- Swipe the AnyConnect VPN switch in the top right corner from Off to On.
- You will need to enter your credentials to connect to the VPN. After a successful login, the field names will change to become more descriptive (Username becomes NetID and Second Password becomes 2FA Method).
- The Group will be pre-selected as General-Use, but you may want to change this (you will need to change the group in order to access Library resources). Review What group should I use for AnyConnect VPN? .
- In the Username field type your UIC NetID
- In the Password field type your UIC common password.
- In the Second Password field, what you enter will depend on the 2FA method you want to use. Follow the instructions below for the method of your choice:
- Type push if you have the Duo App installed in your smart phone, then click OK. Your phone will prompt you to authorize the login request via the Duo app. Approve the login request to proceed. For more information about the Duo mobile app, see this document: 2FA - Installing the Duo Mobile app
- Or type phone if you want to receive a phone call to your registered phone number, then click OK. Answer the call and follow the instructions given.
- Or type sms if you want to get a code via text message to your registered mobile device, then click OK. Your login attempt will ‘fail’ and you will be prompted to login to AnyConnect again. This time, re-enter your common password, and in the Second Password field enter the 6-digit code received via the text message. Note: the passcode expires after 5 minutes.
- If the above methods do not work for you, or you prefer not to use them, you can also directly enter the 6-digit code generated by your Duo mobile app or your registered OTP C100 physical token.
- After your connection is established, use your other applications as needed.
When you're done using the VPN connection, disconnect it:
- From the Home screen, click the AnyConnect icon.
- Swipe the AnyConnect VPN switch in the top left corner from On to Off.
- Your connection should appear as Disconnected.