Endpoint Services, Workspace ONE, What is Automated Device Enrollment (Apple DEP)?
Workspace ONE Unified Endpoint Management (UEM)
University of Illinois IT Pros leveraging Technology Services Endpoint Service Workspace ONE UEM
Apple's Automated Device Enrollment (also known as the Device Enrollment Program, or DEP) maximizes the benefits of Apple device enrollment into a Mobile Device Management (MDM) or Unified Endpoint Management (UEM) service such as Workspace ONE. Automated Device Enrollment enables IT Pros to:
- Customize and streamline the UEM enrollment process for iOS, macOS, and tvOS devices.
- Use Apple Configurator to provision devices in supervised mode, providing access to additional security and configuration settings.
- Install a non-removable UEM profile on a device, preventing deletion and enforcing enrollment for all users.
- Prevent iCloud backup by disabling the option to allow users to sign in with an Apple ID.
In order to ensure Automated Device Enrollment eligibility, Apple devices must be purchased from the following vendors:
- Apple (iBuy only)
- Important: While device configurations may be made at the Apple Education Store (https://www.apple.com/us-edu/store), direct purchases are not DEP eligible, and should instead be made from iBuy.
- AT&T (for the following unit only: AITS)
- CDW/CDWG (iBuy only)
- Tech Zone (direct or iBuy)
- Verizon (for the following units only: DIA, F&S, and Tech Services)
Important: for iBuy purchases, avoid the iBuy site-wide 'Simple' or 'Advanced' searches under the 'Shop' section, as these may return non-eligible search results.
To ensure Automated Device Enrollment-eligible Tech Zone and Apple purchases:
- Go to Showcases - Hosted Catalogs
- Select Illini Union Tech Zone
- Use the search field, or select 'Categories' to browse all Tech Zone categories
To ensure Automated Device Enrollment-eligible CDWG purchases:
- Go to Showcases - Office/Computer Suppliers
- Select CDWG
- Browse or perform a search in the CDWG PunchOut
The EPS team can enable iOS and tvOS devices that were purchased without Automated Device Enrollment eligibility if the following conditions are met:
- The unit IT Pro should have access to Apple Configurator 2.5 or higher installed on a Mac.
- iOS devices must be on iOS 11 or higher.
- tvOS devices must be 4th generation or newer.
- The device must be able to connect to the Internet in order to communicate with Apple's portal.
The EPS team can enable macOS devices that were purchased without Automated Device Enrollment eligibilityif the following conditions are met:
- The device must be on macOS 12.0.1 or higher.
- The device must have an Apple Silicon or T2 chip.
- If already set up, the device must be able to be wiped and the OS reinstalled, or Erase All Contents and Settings initiated.
Please submit an EPS Support Request if you have devices you'd like to enable for Automated Device Enrollment.