2FA, Authenticating without network access
I don’t have reliable cellular network access, or I am travelling and won't have an internet connection on my phone. How can I use 2FA?
There are several options for authenticating when your smartphone does not have a network connection. The following options are perfect for traveling when you may not have internet access on all of your devices, or if you do not have access to your typical device.
1. Hardware tokens work without an internet connection. This means you can use them anywhere in the world to log into your account. More information can be found here: 2FA, Hardware Tokens and Security Keys
2. The Duo Mobile app for smartphones allows you to generate a passcode to login, even if your phone is not connected to the internet. This is a free and easy way to authenticate wherever you are regardless of network connection. Instructions on using this method are below, depending on which application you are logging into:
Important: Between Aug 12-14, you will begin to see an updated Duo Prompt when accessing Microsoft365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) and Shibboleth (Canvas, Box, Zoom, Moodle, etc.) applications. Until then, follow the instructions for AITS Applications below.
[Starting Aug 12-14] If accessing Microsoft365 (Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.) or Shibboleth (Canvas, Box, Zoom, Moodle, etc.):
- Click on 'Other options' at the Duo prompt
- On the authentication options screen, click on 'Duo Mobile passcode':
- Open the Duo Mobile app on your smartphone, then tap 'Show' to reveal the passcode
- Enter the passcode in the Duo prompt and click on 'Verify'
- You may choose to have your device and browser remembered for 24 hours. More information here: MFA, Remember Me
If accessing AITS Applications (Banner, HR Reporting, My UI Info, NetID Center, Direct Deposit, etc.):
- Click on 'Use a passcode' at the Duo Prompt:
- Open the Duo Mobile app on your smartphone, then tap 'Show' to reveal the passcode:
- You may choose to have your device and browser remembered for 24 hours. If so, click the checkbox in the Duo prompt. More information here: MFA, Remember Me
- Enter the passcode in the Duo prompt and click on 'Enter'