Learn@Illinois Moodle - Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Activity (Updated)
Blackboard Collaborate Ultra is a tool that allows for students and instructors to use audio, video, chat, and file sharing (PowerPoint, whiteboard, web-tours) to hold live online meetings, lectures, and discussions.
For a permanent link to this information, please use: http://go.illinois.edu/MoodleCollaborateUltraNew
Examples of Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
- Virtual office hours
- Online lecture and discussion sessions
- Individual meetings with students for projects
- Student group meetings
Frequently Asked Questions
- How do I add a session to my Moodle course?
See our Creating a Single Session in Collaborate Ultra page.
- Can I record my sessions?
Yes! Check out the Record Sessions page from Blackboard Help.
- Where can I find the recordings?
See our Locating Recordings in Blackboard Collaborate Ultra page.
- How can I assure that the person I am meeting with is the student enrolled in my fully online course?
You can use this in conjunction with the I-Card Photo Block to verify student identity in online courses.
- Can my session be graded?
The sessions are not automatically graded. However, there is a new "View reports" feature in the Collaborate Ultra interface that allows you to see who entered the session and for how long. This information must be manually translated into a manual grade item or entered into the Collaborate Ultra session grade as an override.
- I'm trying to share my screen, but the Chrome extension installation button doesn't work!
This is a known issue. The solution is to install the extension from the Chrome site on your own first. Then it will work just fine. Don't be deterred by the infinitely repeating boxes when you are in Collaborate--the students can't see this.
- Communicate dates in a way that is easy to maintain
- Rarely use hard due dates (e.g. September 22, 2017) - opt for relative dates (e.g. Tuesday of Week 1) whenever possible
- Use the year when typing hard due dates so that if it does not get updated, it will be clear that this is the wrong date.
- When you would like to collect submissions at midnight, consider using 11:55pm instead. Students are often confused when something is due on Monday at midnight, but the system says that it is due on Tuesday at 12:00am.
- Provide students with the Collaborate Ultra session in advance of the first meeting to allow them time to set up audio and video.
- For fully online courses, make it clear in the Course Explorer whether live sessions are required.
- Creating a Single Session in Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
- Viewing Attendance Reports in Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Sessions
- Locating Recordings in Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Sessions
- Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Tips for Synchronous Sessions
- Student - Recording a Group Video Using Blackboard Collaborate Ultra
- Allow Students to Moderate Blackboard Collaborate Ultra Sessions