Learn@Illinois.edu Moodle - Creating a Single Session in Blackboard Collaborate Ultra (Updated)
As of Jan. 9, 2019, adding a Blackboard Collaborate Ultra activity involves a very slightly different procedure. Learn how to add a new session to your course to hold virtual office hours, create a study lounge for your students, or a single synchronous class meeting.
- Click the Turn Editing On button.
- At the bottom of the topic in which you would like to add the session, click Add an activity or resource.
- Select "Blackboard Collaborate Ultra" and click Add.
- Under "General", enter the Activity name.
- If you do not plan to grade the session, select "None" in the Grade Type field.
Note: If you plan to grade the session, you can select "Point" and select the number of points in the "Maximum grade" field. Note that this will create an item in your gradebook, but the item will have to be filled in manually from the "Single view" screen in the gradebook.
- Click Save and display.
- (Optional) Click the circle with triple dots to the far right of "Sample Course - Course Room" and select Lock course room. This will prevent students from accidentally joining an empty room that is open 24 hours a day instead of using your scheduled sessions.
Note: You can unlock the course room by clicking the same icon and selecting Unlock course room.
- Click either of the Create Session buttons.
- Type in the name of the session, which will be the same as the name of the activity, in this case, "Virtual Office". If you do not need guest access, uncheck the "Guest access" checkbox. Enter a Start time. Enter an End time or check the "No end (open session)" checkbox. In this case, we are creating a virtual office in which students can meet with their instructor throughout the duration of the course, so we selected "No end".
- Review the Session Settings, selecting the desired options and click Save.
Note: If you are setting up a "Study Lounge" for your students to meet, you might consider making the default attendee role a "Presenter" so that students can share with each other by default.
- Now your session will appear. Click the triple dot icon and select Join session to join the session.
- Alternatively, you can join by clicking on the session name and then clicking Join session. This is the way that your students will join the session.