Endpoint Services, Workspace ONE, Purchasing Apple VPP Apps
This article covers the purchase of Apple Volume Purchase Program (VPP) applications for deployment via Workspace ONE.
Workspace ONE Unified Endpoint Management (UEM)
University of Illinois IT Pros leveraging Technology Services Endpoint Service Workspace ONE UEM
Workspace ONE allows campus units to purchase Apple App Store software for installation (and, optionally, subsequent management) on unit- and personally-owned iOS and macOS devices without violating state policy. Currently, Workspace ONE does not support Apple VPP apps on tvOS.
If you don't already have one in place, you'll need to create a Smart Group for the EPS team to assign to your Volume Purchase Program (VPP) application purchase to govern which devices or users receive it.
- Sign in to the Workspace ONE console.
- From the left-hand sidebar, navigate to Groups & Settings - Groups - Assignment Groups.
- Click the "Add Smart Group" button.
- Enter a unique name for the new smart group using the naming convention Department - Application - [User-defined term]. For example: EPS-Keynote-BYOD.
- Choose a type for the smart group by selecting either Criteria or Devices or Users.
- Criteria allows you to define smart group membership based on the following: organization group, user group, ownership, tags, platform and operating system, device model, and Enterprise OEM version, and allows for the addition or exclusion of individual devices, users, or user groups. If you select this type, ensure that your organizational group is checked.
- Devices or Users allows you to build a list of devices and/or individual users who should receive the application.
- After naming and defining the new smart group, click the 'Save' button at bottom right.
Once a smart group has been created for the VPP application, submit an Apple App Purchase request to the EPS team. Sign in to the EPS Support Request form, selecting Workspace ONE from the 'Service' dropdown and Apple App Purchase from the 'Request Type' dropdown, and provide the following information.
- Application name
- If not free, the application cost
- Number of licenses needed
- Smart group name
- If not free, a University CFOP / Banner account for the purchase