Learn@Illinois Moodle - Auto-creating Groups
Auto-creating groups is particularly suited to making discussion groups for online courses or any time that you would like a particular group of students or all students in the course to be split evenly into groups. You may create groups based on group size or number of members per group.
- From the main course page, click Users.
- In the expanded menu, click Groups.
- Below the "Groups" box on the left, click Auto-create groups.
- Type a name for your groups, appending an "@" if you would like them to be lettered, or a "#" if you would like them to be numbered. For example, typing "M1 Discussion Group @" will create groups named M1 Discussion Group A, M1 Discussion Group B, etc.
- Determine whether you would like to create the groups based on number of groups or members per group. Select your desired option from the drop-down menu.
- Choose how many groups there will be or how many members there will be in each group.
- The default settings in the "Group members" section should generally be fine. Check "Prevent last small group" if you would like Moodle to allocate additional members to existing groups in the case that the last new group would be smaller than 70% of the expected size.
- Finally, you may want to create a new grouping (a group of groups) in which all of the new groups will be placed.
- Click Submit.
- All of your auto-created groups will now appear in the list of groups.