Endpoint Services, Adobe Creative Cloud 2019 and 2020
Endpoint Services-specific information about Adobe CC 2019 and 2020
System Center Configuration Manager (SCCM) Current Branch
Munki Mac Endpoint Management
University of Illinois IT Pros leveraging Technology Services Endpoint Service SCCM Current Branch and/or Munki Mac Endpoint Management systems.
- General Information
- Named User Licenses
- Shared Device Licenses
- EPS Packages
- Installation with Previous Versions
- Acrobat Pro
- Getting Help
Adobe has now released Creative Cloud 2020, which continues the support for Named User and Shared Device licenses that began with Creative Cloud 2019. The EPS SCCM and Munki services both offer Named User and Shared Device versions of Creative Cloud applications. If you have not already done so, please read the UofI Webstore's KB article detailing Creative Cloud licensing and activation. This supplemental article relates specifically to EPS packages and deployment.
The current device license for pre-2019 Adobe CC apps will expire on February 5, 2020. We encourage units leveraging those applications to move to 2020 or 2019 versions as soon as possible.
Named User (NU or NUL) licensing is intended for endpoints used by staff and faculty. These applications require that users login with their Enterprise ID, with each logged-in endpoint contributing to that user’s two available activations. Logging out of an application or the accompanying Creative Cloud Desktop app will recover an activation. An Adobe Enterprise ID must be requested by Faculty and Staff by ordering this free WebStore offer.
Shared Device (SDL) licensing is intended for lab and classroom endpoints only. All students are automatically assigned a free Adobe license that allows them access to the Adobe Platform of software on endpoints with this licensing type. Users will also be required to login, but each login will not contribute to a user’s total number of activations. Additional Shared Device license restrictions:
- To ensure compliance and to preserve our campus agreement with Adobe, Webstore requires that all endpoints using a shared device license be registered. This can be done here.
- Endpoints with SDL licensed Adobe apps installed must be on a campus network in order to use them.
Due to the login requirements, all SCCM and Munki-provided Creative Cloud 2019 and 2020 packages include the Creative Cloud Desktop Application. In addition, in keeping with previous releases, all SCCM and Munki-provided versions have updates disabled.
- For SCCM stakeholders, please continue to use the Adobe Remote Update Manager package, under “\Software Library\Overview\Application Management\Packages”, to manage updates.
- Munki stakeholders will continue to receive updates per the established testing and release schedule. For convenience, we offer the following Munki manifests that can be incorporated into your unit's manifest structure, or you may choose to create your own. If you are unsure about how to use these manifests, please contact the EPS team.
Installation of EPS-provided Creative Cloud packages will generally behave as expected in terms of interactions with previous versions, with a handful of exceptions for the Munki service.
- SCCM-provided 2020 packages will continue to replace previous versions as in the past.
- Munki-provided packages will allow side-by-side installations with previous versions with the exception of Dimension, Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, Premiere Rush, and XD, which will overwrite previous versions.
- Note that a managed uninstall of Dimension, Lightroom, Lightroom Classic, Premiere Rush, or XD 2020 will uninstall whichever version is installed, so managed uninstalls should not be used when updating to newer versions of these applications. For example, to replace XD 2019 with 2020, add the 2020 package to your manifest as a managed install, and delete 2019 from your manifest. If you add XD 2020 as a managed install with XD 2019 as a managed uninstall, Munki will end up in an endless uninstall/reinstall cycle.
Acrobat Pro DC has also moved to the new licensing model. For SCCM stakeholders, future releases will be under “\Software Library\Overview\Application Management\Applications\MANAGED APPLICATIONS\Adobe\Acrobat DC\*”.