College of Engineering - Windows 7 End-of-Life
Microsoft will stop supporting Windows 7 and Server 2008 on January 14, 2020. This means they will no longer provide any updates, including security updates, after that date. To avoid computer security risks and support issues, you need to upgrade your machines.
- Upgrade to Windows 10 before January 14th, 2020. See below for information on upgrading.
- Upgrade to Windows Server 2016. Contact email@example.com to discuss upgrading.
- If you are unable to upgrade due to specific research or software, your IT Pro can help you come up with a plan to keep your computer safe. Contact your IT Pro by sending an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
First, determine whether you have a computer that needs attention (eg. running Windows 7) by checking which version of Windows you are running.
- Faculty or staff desktops or laptops.
- Research lab systems with a support agreement.
- Instructional lab computers.
- Owned by the university, but not covered by a support agreement (described above).
- Not owned by the university, but may be used by university faculty, staff, and students.
Short URL for this page: https://go.illinois.edu/win7eol